News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power Steering ideas

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 18:37

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

fiv7ford
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Power Steering...final   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fordnut
'57 Ford aficionado
(10/30/01 4:55 am)
Reply Power steering
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am finding that steering my Custom with the 429 and no power steering is a load. I had a guy in Charlotte this past weekend mention that he had put a rack and pinion on his 56. Anybody done the same for a 57 or do I need to start gathering up parts to put stock ps on it?

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(10/30/01 3:31 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: Power steering
You might think about using a '58 or '59 steering box. That alone is a big improvement

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(11/5/01 1:20 am)
ezSupporter

Re: Power steering
these people apparently have available a "Power steering sector" that is direct bolt in.

GearHead's Cruiser Products
gearheads@aol.com

Frank @ 701-223-2269

from an ad in Y-Block magazine.

onecool57
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/19/01 10:41 am)
Reply Re: Power steering
Come on I hear allot of maybe this work maybe this, I remember this one the granada disk coversion come to find out allot had done it but forgot to tell anyone else. I've heard some say 73 ford trucks, a certian one out of a 62 t-bird, and there is a bolt in new unit $700.00 is out of my price range. So let's see what people have done on this power steering issue. I'm needing to know I can't stand this manual steering. By next summers driving season ROD RUNS you know I've must have power steering and AC done. I know theres someone out there That knows and doesn't want us to know it.

dgasman
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/20/01 4:04 pm)
I am retracting the T Bird box for the moment . I am in the process of installing it on my frame and found out its not as bolt on as I was told. I think It will work with a few tweaks
I will try them and let you know
I apologize

Edited by: dgasman at: 11/28/01 6:49:14 pm

Tonys57Fords
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/23/01 9:29 am)
Would love to have a pic of that TBird steering box. Tonys57fairlane@aol.com Thanks

Tonys57Fords
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/23/01 9:34 am)
If you use the 58 box,make sure you get the pitman arm with it. I found out the the old 57 are 180 off. So the 57 pitman arm is backward on the 58 box.

ken55ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/28/01 5:29 pm)
Reply Power Steering
I am new to this site but see there is much concern on power steering for fords. I am restoring a 58 ford which is so similar to the 57 that I may be able to help anyone interested. I have chosen to use a budget build box for a replacement steering box. The original equipment is rather costly. The mods I will have will only show the steering box having two hoses connected to it. The power steering pump and bracketry will be original to the engine. I will share more of this to anyone that emails me. I can even share a few photos. Ken

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(11/28/01 5:53 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: Power Steering
Thanks Ken, that'll be a great help. Maybe James can include it in the next Newsletter.

friapop
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/28/01 11:46 pm)
Reply P.S. box
would like photos! >>>>>>>>>>friapop@yahoo.com
Thanks

Tonys57Fords
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/29/01 11:46 pm)
Ken,would love to have some pics and ideas on the power steering box. Tonys57fairlane@aol.com

ken55ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(11/30/01 2:06 pm)
Reply Re: Power Steering
You guys give me a few days so I can put something together. I have freed up my email address for you to email me. I don't know how to post pics here. I am also doing a disc brake swap on my 58 that will fit the 57. Interested?

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(12/1/01 1:49 am)
ezSupporter

Re: Power Steering
We are interested in it all, I'm sure.

If you can up load your pictures to a personal web page, or a picture hosting site, they are easy to post here. You can simply use the board's eZ code. No HTML required

e.g

[image] your picture URL here [/image]

for each picture

make sure "EzCodes" is checked off in the "Posting Options" box at the bottom of the posting page.

Edited by: RCSignals at: 12/1/01 1:50:55 am

gregyoung
`57 Enthusiast

Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:   

i have a wurth it rack and pinion which works great and as for discs brakes i have they all round but you need to what the bore size of the mastercylinder with a booster.i had one with 1and an eigth in bore which doesnt work that well,use an inch bore works great.

1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Glen Henderson

I changed the oil in my wife's 05 F150 Super Crew today and while I was waiting for the oil to drain, I noticed the cool power rack in it. I didn't have time too take measurements today, but just first impressions, it looks interesting. If anyone has access too one give it a look and see what you think. It mounts with two bolts through brackets that could be easily fab'ed. Might be another option, and its Ford.