News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Power Steering, again

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 18:39

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

fiv7ford
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Power Steering, again   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tlumsden
(7/22/01 11:35 am)
Reply POWER STEERING
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking for ideas to add a rack and pinion unit to my '57 custom!! Any help out there? By the way fellow owners if I can figure out how to use the new process it can't be that hard!!

Tonys57Fords
(7/22/01 12:34 pm)
Reply Re: POWER STEERING
Funny you should bring that up lol. I was just outside looking at my Courier. I have the old box and collum out, the motor is in the process of being built. Perfect time to make a change. Only problem is , Do I use the new collum with a 58 steering box, witch is a better box. Or do I go with the Mustang II conversion with a power rack? I have talked to several Ford guys who know their stuff and the say leave the front end stock, they still use that in race cars.I think what I am going to do is do the dropped spindles with disc brakes,then try and go with a new 605 saginaw power box, step the frame in a little for clearance so the 429 will have a little more room and couple the box to the new collum.Not sure how this will all work,I will have to do a little more reserch. There is a guy who makes 605 power boxes for the 57, but they are like 750 bucks,plus extra for a pump and brackets. If you have a stock collum you will have to get the kit for the horn, because the wire runs down the center of the shaft. There are some real knowlegable guys in this club,and I'm sure you will get some great feedback. I will be following this thread for sure lol

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(7/22/01 2:44 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: POWER STEERING
This is always an interesting subject.
Personally I've decided to leave the front suspension basically stock. The original design is actually very good, and rebuild parts are available. I'll probably go with Granada/Versaille front spindles and disc brakes though, with a '58 Box. No power steering.
I saw one courier that the guy had put a Ford pick up (from the '70s but others may be the same) power steering box in rather than the Saginaw. He said it went in easy, worked well, and he didn't have any hose problems.

friapop
(7/22/01 5:52 pm)
I plan to go with a '61 box. A guy told me it is "recirculating ball" as opposed to worm gear. You also get a box that uses a rag joint. Not sure what I'll do for a column. I want to keep my 57 wheel.

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(7/22/01 5:55 pm)
ezSupporter

Friapop, the recirculating ball came out in '58. Not sure about the rag joint.
Unless you want a tilt column, or collapsible one for saftey, just use the '57.

friapop
(7/22/01 9:45 pm)
I knew it was earlier than '61 but I wanted the vibration damping of the rag joint. I have a friend who is into 61-62s
big time. He said 61 was first with rag joint. I just thought I might go with the later column as well so I can keep my 57 box/column intact for future use.
Isn't this a great club for info/idea exchange?!

Tonys57Fords
(7/22/01 11:03 pm)
RC, Thank you for jogging my memory. I think it was the 73-79 Ford truck power boxes that work with a little tweekin.

tlumsden
(7/24/01 10:02 am)
Reply Power steering
Tonys57Fords send me your email address. I have a freind who used a 605 with 428 in a 57. My self I've clearence problems between gear box and headers for a 351w. tlumsden@inwave.com

f57351
'57 Ford aficionado
(8/13/01 7:48 pm)
Whats up with the 57 box compared to a 58 box? Which is the better of the two, and why?

smurfee49548
'57 Ford aficionado
(8/13/01 8:24 pm)
for clearence we used a 59 steering box with both my 302 & anothers guys 351w with headers & the box size is a lot smaller than the 57 & dropped right in.

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(8/13/01 8:54 pm)
ezSupporter

f57351

The '57 box is a worm and sector configuration. The '58 and later box is a recirculating ball type, and is generally smoother and 'easier' especially if you don't have power steering

onecool57
'57 Ford aficionado
(9/27/01 5:10 pm)
Reply Power Steering
Ok what do you mean about a little tweeking to install the truck steering box that leaves things wide open. I'm really looking for another option to the 57 box I'm on my third one and there all get loose after a short while. I've aready put in a tilt wheel so thats no issue the 605 power box is out of my price range. Looking for other options. So lets here some more ideas on this!! It's like the disk brakes there allot of people out that are doing things that really work so lets keep the ideas comming. I'm ready for change.

dgasman
'57 Ford aficionado
(9/28/01 12:48 am)
Reply Re: Power Steering
message removed by dgasman

Edited by: dgasman at: 11/28/01 7:01:41 pm

ken55ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(12/1/01 10:21 am)
Reply Power steering
Hey onecool57, whats so expensive about a 605 box? I got mine at the salvage yard for 50 bucks. I'm working on the installation requirements and will have a power steering box that will be a clean install. I don't have a 57 ford but I do have a 55 ford and a 58 ford, both cars. I intend to use the 605 for my installation.
I have posted a message on the other power steering message link that I would be happy to share what I know and find out. I am going to setup some pics and explanation to what I have done. In the meantime, start searching for a pump and necessary pulleys to supply some juice. Feel free to email me.

friapop
'57 Ford aficionado
(12/1/01 12:47 pm)
Reply P.S./605
Ken, The 605 referred to is the 605 adapted specifically for the 57(and others). "Gearheads" takes a stock '59 box
(for all applications-size matters) and guts it and "hogs" it out on a mill, then installs 605 guts in it. It bolts right up because it's a stock housing. It's about $800.
I sure hope you can show us a better way!

ken55ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(12/1/01 10:13 pm)
Reply Power steering
www.integrityonline30.com...lpage7.htm

This may be old info for some, or may be repetitive for this site, but I wanted to make sure everyone gets to see this website above to see what can be done with the 605 box. Without much to do, this box can be used to supply the needs for ford fans as well as the alternate sourch for automotive needs. If this is new to anyone, read and enjoy.
I have bought a used box for 50 bucks. Remanufactured at a parts house, about 125 dollars. Use your old box as a donor (or a wore out unit will work as well) for the output shaft and you will be on your way. Cut the old box to obtain your mounting flange/support and things get really easier. What's left? The column will need to be cut on the end. Procure a rubber bisquit from the car the 605 came from and fab a connection device for the new box to the old column. Voila! power steering. Although all this is condensed, a budget setup for lots less than 800 bucks. Has anyone here done anything like this yet? I hope you guys can open the site above. Ken

<Ken, I hope you don't mind, I fixed it for you. You just had a space inserted>

Edited by: RCSignals at: 12/2/01 3:26:31 am

ken55ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(12/1/01 10:16 pm)
Reply Power steering
Uh oh! Add the htm to the end on the site I just added in my last reply. Those letters didn't get included and I don't know how to edit to correct. Ken

ken55ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(12/1/01 10:24 pm)
Reply Power Steering

www.integrityonline30.com/belair55350/iolpage7.htm

Try this one. Ken

ken55ford
'57 Ford aficionado
(12/3/01 9:38 pm)
Reply Power steering
www.integrityonline30.com/belair55350/iolpage7.htm

Has anyone here seen this sight and it's info before? I thought it offered a good beginning to a budget modification. Any comments? Ken

"Click to copy and paste on the address/location line in main heading".

RCSignals
RanchWagon57
(12/3/01 11:28 pm)
ezSupporter

Re: Power steering
www.integrityonline30.com...lpage7.htm

to make a link "active" just type it in with the "http: //" (no spaces though) at the beginning

Edited by: RCSignals at: 12/3/01 11:29:27 pm
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

I have been mocking up a power steering box from the ford pickups,what I like about it is the thing hugs the frame real close,and the box head sits over the frame rail.Much unlike the 57 box which rubbed the exhaust manifolds on the Fe engine.The pittman arm to column dimension is almost 2 inches longer,may need a little tweakin,thanks Mark