News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

more steering ideas

Started by Spare Parts, 2006-12-23 14:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Spare Parts

:fruit:While searching for my project car,I've spent lots of time on the'net collecting ideas and reading any magazines I could find.In the Jan 2007 issue of Custom Rodder magazine,there is an article on a power steering box swap on 49/51 Mercury's using a power Isuzu rack.Its small and seems easy to do.I know it's not a '57/'58 but most old Fords /Mercs had the same bolt pattern to mount to the frame .I have not called Jamco Suspensions but possibly this could work on our cars.Another idea Ifound is on www.webrodder.com.IF you type in 1955 Ford COURIER in the search box ' there is an article on how the old box was mated to a 605 GM box. Still not a '57/'58 but there is one vender selling one for our cars for around $800.And here is another idea,this is the one I'M in the middle of.Go to www.yblocksforever.com and check out the tech section.There is rack and pinion on '55 Tbird,still not a '57/'58 but the front part of the frames are very similar.The tbird used a Cavalier rack and mounted it to the frame with brackets welded under the frame.Now one more web site,www.roddingroundtable.com.Do a search on rack and pinion ,several will be shown but look for one by    parklane   .There is a post on the second page where a plate is bolted to the rack and welded to the Ford center link.This what I'm trying,I've found that '94 Pontiac GrandAm'use a rack just like the Cavalier but has two mounting points.I hope this is not confusing but just offering ideas.I'll let you know how it works.I don't have photos or know how to post them but I'll try to answer any questions.

RAWms

Get the pictures...  We will help you to post 'em.  I would like to see how this works.    Good luck, r 
Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

Spare Parts

As a follow-up on my post about Jamco suspension using a Isuzu p/s gear on the '49/'51 Merc's,I emailed about any other  conversions and got a reply today.Jamco is working on a conversion for '52/'56 Fords now and should have one for '57/'59 by the end of the year.If any one is not planning a steering change soon ,maybe ther will be something available this year.I'm still finishing up my power r&p install and all I need is connecting it to the '58 steering column, so far I only have $100 in it .

Fairlane500Ron

Do you have any more info about using the 94 grand am
steering set up in a 57?
I may be able to purchase one but wanted more info first
Thanks
Ron

Frankenstein57

Any of you guys know the answer to this I would appreaciate it, I looked at a late 90s cavalier rack , it has the tie rods sticking out of each end. The wurthit rack and some others have the tie rods close together in the middle like on a 57. Is this a fabricated piece, or are some cavalier racks like that? I posted this question on the y-blocks site, but got no reply, thanks, Mark

hrsky

I think they use a late 80's to early 90's Cavalier rack and pinion.   HR