News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

lowering my 57

Started by meteor, 2007-01-17 11:17

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

obviously I'm not quite ready, seeing as I still need a body, but I'm gathering my info...

I have installed my 2.5" dropped spindles and 1" cut springs in the front, what do I do about the back?

Is it a good idea to use the 3" blocks and 'flip the springs'? 'Flipping' the springs is new to me, can someone explain this process? I've been told to "take a crowbar and just flip the shackle up to gain an inch". 

What have others done?

thanks for the help
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

57 Ford Kustom

"Meteor
         Blocks will get you down low enough any more and you will have driveshaft to floor problems. As far as flipping the springs is a process of putting the spring under the axle not on top like trucks are. Your springs are already under the axle. the only other thing I can think of is mention of a crow bar is to reverse the shackle. but that would raize the rear. your rear spring is between the rear bracket and the frame now.

T:walk:M   :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

meteor

thanks Tom. Did you use blocks in your car? cause it sits great.

57 Ford Kustom

Yes I have blocks in the rear and my 38 yr old son just had to play and turned up the air shocks before the picture normal stance is seeing about 1' of rim the lake pipe caps about 2 1/2" clearence. :003: :003:

T:walk:M   :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

DaveB

Looks great! I'm working on a 57 Custom 300 and want to lower the front with drop spindles. Does anyone here know who supplies them?

cool57

Quote from: DaveB on 2007-06-25 11:24
Looks great! I'm working on a 57 Custom 300 and want to lower the front with drop spindles. Does anyone here know who supplies them?
www.fatmanfab.com

57AGIN

Dave:

I think just about any "supplier" or parts yard that has the Grenada/Monarch front disc brake set up will accomplish dropping the front end a couple of inches.  That is the only change I made to the front suspension on my Custom 300 and it gave it a nice agressive front down stance.  I didn't replace or cut the front springs and I don't think Ford used different springs on the sedans depending on the engine going into the car (mine was originally a 6 cylinder).  I've seen a number of posts on this site that also refer to later model T-bird front discs being used, but I don't remember if using them resulted in a front end lowering.

Bob
57AGIN

Frankenstein57

Meteor, I've aquired a set of spindles from a early to mid 70s torino, I'm told they also will provide a 1 to 2 inch drop. They have the same wheel bolt pattern as my Linclon Versile 9 inch rear end, which is a plus, good luck, Mark

meteor

Quote from: DaveB on 2007-06-25 11:24

Dave, I bought the complete kit from DC Enterprises - uses a modified granada spindle.

http://www.dropnstop.com/page3.htm

DaveB

Thanks everyone for the input! Decisions, decisions.... :icon_scratch: