News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hydraulic or Cable clutch

Started by 57Cust300, 2009-05-03 09:55

Previous topic - Next topic

57Cust300

:unitedstates:

Has anyone used either a cable or hydraulic clutch on a 57 Fairlane or Custom? I am interested in either for my Custom 300.

JPotter57

I used a cable for a while in my last one.  The problem was you couldnt get enough clutch travel without making the lever on the pedal longer, and you couldnt make the lever longr without modifying the cowl tank for the cable to pass through.  I had heated and "relieved" the lower side of the cowl tank so the cable could pass higher, but the only way I can see the cable working is to bore through the cowl tank with a hole saw, and weld in a piece of tubing for the cable to pass through.  This way you can weld a 4 inch long lever to the back side of the clutch pedal, and get enough travel on the clutch fork to disengage the clutch properly.  Mine worked ok when I was driving normally, but when I took it to the dragstrip, or drove it hard on the street, the clutch would not open fully enough and would grind gears...This time I plan on using a hydraulic clutch...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.