News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

C6 swap

Started by 62galxe, 2011-11-26 14:01

Previous topic - Next topic

62galxe

Any tips on modifying the crossmember? Also looking for solution for using factory column shift setup.

shopratwoody

I think I just welded a ext on the stock one when I used the stock crossmember. My column
linkage works fine. Just have an extra gear. It's got a Crites crossmember nowadays.
The shifter is adustable on the column under the hood.
I hate blocksanding!

62galxe

the 58 mount hits the pan unless theres a missing part between the mount and trans.

shopratwoody

Gotta be missing the rubber mount, or raised it with a spacer. Put one in mine 30 yrs ago.
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

Just curious what kind of neutral saftey switch was used and how you got everything to work so it doesnt start in gear. Like you said it has an extra gear and it throws the stock NSS out of wack with the stock column detents.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

shopratwoody

Been awhile. It adjust on the column under the hood. I bought one for a 58 I think. (switch)
Start in Park and N. it seems.
I hate blocksanding!

bossguy

This is a pic I got from here to show my son. He modified his the same way. The second pic is the Crites crossmember.

62galxe

Thanks for the pictures.

62galxe

Okay im looking for a easy way out. Anybody hooked the column shift to a C6. Looking for linkage sugestions.

wv 57s forever

i used the original linkage  on mine with 351w,c6. it worked fine. i did however cut notches in the column for shifter arm so it would have a notch for each gear. i also used a neutral safety switch on the transmission. you have to have one if you race.

62galxe

Reread my post and its not very specific. All I have is a rod hanging down from the column to the bottom of the firewall. Im guessing that im going to need some kind of pivot between frame and motor and a second rod between that and the trans.

wv 57s forever

OK maybe my linkage was not the original rod from the steering column. my car was in a million pieces when i bought it, but i used 1 rod from link on outside of steering column to shifter hookup on transmission.

bossguy

My son is in the process of sorting this out now. Our 69 Merc donor car had a linkage between the frame and the block. He wants to use the 59 column with the 69 crossshaft and back to the trans from there. I'll ask if he's done yet and get some pics. Jack

bossguy

Looks like this is the way my son is going to go with his 429 / C6 Edsel
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/lok-aca-1801_column_shiftlinkage.pdf

I dont think he's recieved it yet.

gasman826

I have used a LoKar before.  I worked great.  I used a Ford OEM floor style neutral safety switch.  Bolts on the side of the transmission.  Backup lights even worked.  Another one I used a mid '70s Lincoln column and everything match up in the column.  Still used a LoKar cable kit on that one too.  Always the way of things, I just threw out one of them notched cross members!!!!