News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

If I keep my original 312, should i keep the foromatic?

Started by Custom300Madman, 2012-01-21 22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Custom300Madman

1957 Ford Custom 300 Fourdoor, with factory 312 yblock

JPotter57

I nought the Mummert adapter for my 312, hope to get the trans in this week, after my shorter input shaft arrives.  I wouldnt use the C6 on the Y, it's a big heavy trans, eats up a lot of horsepower.  Since you have to run an adapter to fit anything other than a Fordo or FMX, I would steer way clear of the C6, use the C4 for dragging only, best choice for auto would be AOD, get the overdrive.  Stay far, far away from that bowtie junk.. Never did like the design of them, unless you buy aftermarket stuff for them, they dont live up to abuse well, sprag will go away in short order.  Of course me being a manual trans guy, automatics are a moot point, as I am still of the caveman line of thinking, that automatics, AC, stereos, power steering and brakes, were all designed so that women could drive.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Custom300Madman

What's a good aod you would recommend? I would love a t5 but not sure about cutting into the tunnel or doing the conversion.

57AGIN

Custom300Madman:

Rick and I are doing the tunnel cutting for putting a TKO 600 into my 57.  I'll be posting pictures showing this operation.  Here's where it stand right now.

Bob
57 AGIN

Custom300Madman

57Agin,
Wow that looks real nice, I look forward to following the conversion. How hard will the clutch pedal mount and clutch cylinder be?

57AGIN

Custom300Madman:

Would you believe, no problem what so ever?  Since my car was originally a stick (3 on the tree) when it rolled out of the factory in 1957, the pedal set up was already installed.  We completely disassembled refurbished the brake & clutch pedal assembly before putting it back together for this refurbishment project.  In 2004 I converted the old bellhousing to a Lakewood (SFI approved) bellhousing and kept the existing clutch fork (non-hydraulic) set up.  I've attached a photo of this reassembly, showing the clutch fork and through out bearing.  It really wasn't a problem.

Bob
57 AGIN

Custom300Madman

Well although I'm still uncertain which engine will go in te car, I think I'm 100% on the AOD. I mean I just need the overdrive, without a doubt this big ol four door car needs to cruise with four people to the beach!