News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

harmonic balancer

Started by brian brensinger, 2014-06-11 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic

brian brensinger

I'm working on a 57 ford with a 292 motor and was wondering if anyone new the part# for the balancer and the overall length of it. The one I have is 4 7/8" long and when installed on the crank it does not line up with the water pump pulley and the generator. We used a installer tool and I know it is touching in the back because I used dye to check. Some people have been telling me that this is the wrong one and others say they are the same. Any help is appreciated.

hiball3985

I just replaced mine with a new one so I had the old one to measure. 4 7/8" from the front of the pulley to the rear of hub. Hub only 3 3/8"
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

brian brensinger

Thanks for the reply hiball3985. I'm having a problem lining up my water pump pulley with the balancer pulley. I installed a new water pump so maybe the pump is the wrong size. I have 4 3/8" from the back of the pump to the nose. The pulley is the orginal but the pump came from Napa years ago and never completed the motor until now. Do you know what the pump measurement is??    I appreciate you help!!!!     Brian

hiball3985

from the mounting surface to the outer edge of the flange where the pulley mounts I have
4 1/2".
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

I've used a press to move the flange up or down to line up pullies. Not sure if your supposed to do that but it's worked for me.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

gasman826

When I worked in John Deere dealership, engine overhauls included rebuilding the water pump.  New bearing/seal and impeller was pressed in.  Pressing to right dimension was critical for correct pulley alignment.  If misalignment is a small amount, there are shims to fine tune the alignment.

brian brensinger

How much can you move the sleeve on the pump?  I need a 1/4" to line them up

rmk57

Leave enough distance to get the pulley and fan on the shaft or enough room for the pulley not to interfere with the water pump. Anywhere in between should be fine.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

brian brensinger

THANKS!!!   I got it fixed. You guys on this site are awesome.