News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

timing marks on damper

Started by texasmark1, 2008-11-30 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

texasmark1

still trying to get my first start up to happen...

wondering about the relationship of the timing marks and the keyway location on my damper...

when I have #1 piston at TDC, I believe the timing marks should be somewhere in the vicinity of the pointer, correct?

mine are at about 7 or 8 o'clock with #1 at TDC; the pointer is at approx 10 to 11 o'clock...

am I crazy or is something off?
God Bless Texas!

4banger

Get an old spark plug. Gut it out and put a solid rod in it. Say 2" long. Put in #1 hole. Bring piston up by hand till the piston touches, put a mark on dampner. Turn motor by hand the oppsite way till piston touches again. Mark dampner again. Between the two marks  is the exact dead center. You might get at it better from underneath.

Hoosier Hurricane

Mark:

You don't say what engine you have, but I'm guessing it's a Y Block.  The marks are on a ring that is rubber mounted to the front pulley, and as the rubber ages the ring has a tendency to slip.

John

texasmark1

yep, its a 272...
I was trying to find out if the relationship between the timing marks and the slot for the key way is always the same, in other words,

if the timing marks are, for example, at 10 o'clock and the slot is at 3 o'clock, will this always be the orientation for every damper...

thanks, Mark
God Bless Texas!

Hoosier Hurricane

Mark:

As far as I know, they would all be the same.  On another site a guy posted that if the keyway is at 6 o'clock, the 12 degree timing mark would be at the center of the spoke that is at about 10 o'clock.  This is looking at the damper from the front side.  With this rule of thumb, it appears your marks are off about 90 degrees.  If it is off precisely 90 degrees, you could time it by hooking your timing light to #2 or #8 cylinder.

John