News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

it shoulda' started TODAY!!

Started by texasmark1, 2008-12-06 16:25

Previous topic - Next topic

texasmark1

well, today it really should have started!!**&&^^%%!!

background: rebuilt 272, all wiring replaced, new radiator and gas tank, and about a thousand other things over the last 19 years... I'm slow but you know how it is when you have to stop most everything to raise a family!!

Lastly, installed new fuel pump, got gas up to and into the carb, turns over, but no start...

can my timing be so off that starting would be impossible?  can't think of anything else, but would appreciate some suggestions/experiences/advice!!

I gotta get this thing started pretty soon or the Mrs and my Jr. mechanic-13 yr old son are going to re-think their faith in DAD!!

appreciate any help
Mark
God Bless Texas!

shopratwoody

keep it simple. Check points and the little things. It should run even if it's a little out of whack. Coil,
condenser etc...
good luck, Ron :002:
I hate blocksanding!

johns2000

Double check wires are in the correct firing order, # 1 mistake made by many!!!

4banger

If you have fuel at the carb then take off coil wire off dist. and ground it to see if you have juice to the dist. If you dont , then check before it. If you do , check after it.

texasmark1

done the suggesions and still no go...
any more ideas?
God Bless Texas!

shopratwoody

I hate blocksanding!

texasmark1

Cam timing?
do you refer to the cam and crank being lined up properly per the usual Yblock requirements??
if so, then yes, they are oriented correct; I confirmed this recently with the shop that rebuilt the engine for me a while back... the tech knew right away what I was asking about since he had a Yblock in his past...

also, I stabbed the dist correctly when I replaced it... #1 piston at TDC... per my service manual...

anthing else?

thanks again, Mark
God Bless Texas!

shopratwoody

Are the valves closing? Not too tight? Sounds like you're pretty much up on everything. Does it even
backfire out the carb or exhaust?
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

maurits1947

Verify that there is spark at the plugs, if it has gas at the carb and spark at the plug there has to be some type of response, either a back fire or appears to start on one or so cylinders.  Is the coil wired correctly, drop resistor goes to the run position, full 13.2 volts goes to the start position of the ignition switch to the coil(bypasses the drop resistor).  Coil receives about 8 volts or so when the key is in the run position.  The car won't start the other way, the starter draws too much and the coil can't saturate.
Make sure that the condenser in the distributor is good.  Battery is at 100%.
You can check spark by pulling wire (don't pull the plug)and using another plug against a ground, look or listen for spark at the plug.  Is the firing order set correctly I believe it's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 intake manifold should be marked if I remember correctly.  Good luck.   Maury

wolfpupsdad

make sure the distributor isn't 180 degrees out

Jim

Quote from: texasmark1 on 2008-12-06 16:25
well, today it really should have started!!**&&^^%%!!

background: rebuilt 272, all wiring replaced, new radiator and gas tank, and about a thousand other things over the last 19 years... I'm slow but you know how it is when you have to stop most everything to raise a family!!

Lastly, installed new fuel pump, got gas up to and into the carb, turns over, but no start...

can my timing be so off that starting would be impossible?  can't think of anything else, but would appreciate some suggestions/experiences/advice!!

I gotta get this thing started pretty soon or the Mrs and my Jr. mechanic-13 yr old son are going to re-think their faith in DAD!!

appreciate any help
Mark

Hoosier Hurricane

Maury:

I believe that firing order is chevy.  The Y firing order is 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2.  The distributor turns counterclockwise.  As mentioned above, the distributor would be 180 degrees off if #1 was at the end of the exhaust stroke instead of on the compression stroke when the distributor was installed.

John

Frankenstein57

We always held our thumb over the #1 plug hole, crank it slowly untill the compression pushes out, then your timing mark should be coming to TDC. The rotor should be pointing at #1 on the cap, gas, spark, and wala- fire in the hole!   Mark

rickj

watch removing distributor, make sure the shaft goes back into oil pump and is engaged

texasmark1

thanks to all the great advice sent my way so far...!

I did have the distributor cap on about 180 degrees off, plus the plug wires off as well...

fixed that and almost got it running... so close...

by the way, I have replaced the points and condensor w/a Petonix set up inclucing coil...

believe I need just a bit more fine tuning on the position of the pick up in the dist and I'll have it...

thanks again for all the right-on suggestions... can't wait to join the ranks of driving 57 owners that make up this cool forum!
God Bless Texas!