News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering Wheels

Started by lotsafords, 2008-12-22 15:18

Previous topic - Next topic

lotsafords

Has anyone been successful at finding an aftermarket steering wheel which fits the 57 column without adding additional length?  Or has anyone have experience with someone who can make the 57 diameter smaller?
Don't really want to go to a different column.  Any other ideas would also be welcome.
Jack

57tudor

Hi Jack

I may have the info you are seeking. The steering wheel I have on my hot rod came from LaCarra. They are the only ones I know that make the adapter kit for the 57 column's. Here is the web address and some pic's of my wheel and adapter. My wheel is 14.5" and I have manual steering. Some day I'm going to power steering. Hope this helps.

http://www.lecarra.com/

Rick
57 Tudor

KidKourier

Jack,   Check about 9 topics down,there are 2 listings that do steering wheel reductions for the stock '57. KID

lotsafords

Thanks Kid I'll give Dennis a call.

57AGIN

Lotsafords, etc.:

The web site for Dennis's steering wheels is www.qualityrestorations.com The site gives specifics about the construction of the wheels, which does sound a lot better than what most of the steering wheel repair companies do in their restoration process.

Bob
57AGIN

JimNolan

Jack,
    There's a place in Australia that did mine. It's at www.pearlcraft.com. They took my steering wheel from 18" to 15.25". They charged me what I thought was resonable for what I got. I'm a big guy anyway and having the original in my stomach all the time didn't make much sense. They've been doing this for a long time. They've also got a picture of my wheel on their website under modified wheels. It'll give you an idea of what you'll get. I chose the swirl pattern to be different. That's not paint you're looking at. It's the makeup of the material used. Nothing will put wear on the wheel. That's what I was looking for. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lotsafords

Thanks Jim, I saw your wheel on one site or another and have attempted to contact Pearl Craft.  Guess during the holidays they may not be working.
Have a happy new year.
Jack

Dakota

the pearlcraft domain seems to be down....  maybe just because they havent renewed for the 1st of the year?

if that pearlcraft is what i think it is, that KIRK guy from goodguys had his done in that pearl finish, and it cost like 600$!!   :o
Hot Rodders are the True Artists, Restorers just paint by number. ~ Luanne Rosenow

lotsafords

$600.00 is half of what I was quoted by the folks at quality restorations in San Diego. still a lot of bread for a steering wheel.  Would probably be cheaper and better for me to just loose 50 lbs. so I get in and out easier.