News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Sticker Shock

Started by JimNolan, 2008-12-30 17:16

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
    I'm getting ulcers (really, I've been up three nights in pain this month). This restoration project has taken on a life of its own. The estimated expense has already been exceeded 50%. I thought I was pretty good at figuring out if a car was in good shape. I found out I don't know crap about looking at a car. The only saving grace about this whole ordeal is that it's mine. I couldn't sell it for half what I have in it but I'll be the proud guy with a smile on his face and an empty billfold while I'm driving it. Drive it hell, looks like I'll have to be living in it before it's over. Just kidding, yea right.
    I beginning to understand the old saying, Be Happy With What You've Got. It means don't pay to have a car restored. Go buy one, it's cheaper. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

texasmark1

Hey Jim, don't lose the faith!!

Guess the old saying about it "... takes twice as long and costs twice as much as you planned/estimated/hoped/guessed..." applies to all of us with the old car bug... been pretty much that way w/mine.

and the time... don't get me started... let's just say I got mine in '90, started working on it, as well as my family, at the same time, and I just this winter have gotten the engine started for the first time... still have to get it completly buttoned up as well as the entire interior done...

another old saying about a hobby like this, or tube guitar amps, is that they may be expensive but they are not as expensive as high-priced women or German sports cars!! and our hobby is legal!

Keep on keeping on... vent when you need to and when its all finished, just try to wipe that wide smile off your face whenver you get behind the wheel... that's what's keeping me going... longing for the day that I'll have that grin problem...

Mark
God Bless Texas!

wolfpupsdad

jim> them days aof cheap cars and cheap labor only applies to someone else , never to us, lol. mine is in the same boat only saving grace is , i'll have a damn nice ride. then the next project (1947 ford coupe) begins.
sounds kinda like the never ending story doesn't it, lmao. been doing this stuff for 40+ years and nothing surprises me any more when it  comes to old cars, old guns , and old women . don't tell my wife i said that, lol.