News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

duel sump pan to front sump pan

Started by buckie405, 2011-12-31 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

buckie405

What do you do about locating the dip stick tube when you put the front sump pan on the new 302's with the dual sump pan having the dipstick tube built into the driver's side rear sump area? Im guessing the older models had a provision in the block?
          Im asking because to use the rack and get the clearance needed  I will have  to change oil pans.

Buckie

Ford Blue blood

Pull the timing cover (or leave it on and use tin foil very carefully) and drill a hole in the bottom where the dip stick would be on the old front sump covers.  Some of the covers have casting marks where the hole would be......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

buckie405

Thanks for the reply ,I will take a look at doing  just that ! what year of dip stick tube would I be looking for?  65 or so?

bossguy

You may have to eyeball it carefully when you find the 65 style dipstick tube, (Ford Racing used to offer them in chrome with the dipstick, Not sure if they still do) The rear sump blocks are all serpentine belts I believe, you might not have clearance for the tube. Ford Racing also used to have timing cover, waterpump, pulley packages reasonably priced for street rod conversions. Jack

Ford Blue blood

A tube will fit between the accessory bracket and the block.  The bracket may need a little relief cut in it to clear, depends on which donor the engine came from.  I have custom made my two dip stick tubes using brake line (5/16ths) and cut the tube so the stick shows oil in the middle of the hi-low marks after putting 5 quarts in and running it to get oil in all the right places then let it sit for a few minutes.  Tubing cutters work well (the little ones) without having to worry about metal getting down the tube.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

buckie405

Thanks guys lots of good advice, KI have found the boss for the hole and now I will dril it to the size I need to relocare the tube. I will have the pan off anyway for the change.

Buckie