News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

question about windshield wiper system removal

Started by terry_208, 2017-02-26 12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I'm in the process of removing the complete wiper system.  I have the cowl vent cover removed, the little metal plate over the access hole on the driver's side.  I have undone the fasteners holding the wiper studs, the transmissions on both sides and the main transmission behind the wiper motor, which I also removed. 

Can the system now be removed, intact through the vent passage or does the cables need to be removed first?

Thanks.

Terry
Terry

gasman826

together.  You should not need to unhook any cables.  One big nest.

Jeff Norwell

Is there a reason to dismantle the wiper system... Not trying to be a jerk... but if you could.best to leave it alone.
(Unless your attempting a custom set up)

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

I would have recommended the same but the bolts have already been removed.  Before you ask, the install instructions are in the manual.  Clean and lube the transmissions.  Locate the little holes in the transmissions.  Fab up a couple of pins to fit the holes.  Preload the transmissions and lock with the pins.  Install everything.  You might want to remove the fresh air ducts for more access to the cables and pulleys.  Line up the cables and pull the pins.

terry_208

Yes the bolts have been removed.  I'm NOT planning to do a custom wiper fabrication The reason for removing the system was for media blasting.  The floors are gone, rusted away, and the outside surface of the car is badly rust pitted .
Terry

Ray

Just FYI, in my experience, the shop manual installation are incorrect. It took me about ten attempts to get it right. Good luck.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

terry_208

I don't have a manual just the other members here helping me.  Thanks to all the suggestions and tips.
Terry

chapingo17

I would have taken pics before disassembly.

RICH MUISE

What Ray said....this has been mentioned before. I think it is something about the cable is shown wound in the wrong direction on a pulley.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

terry_208

Thanks for the help!  I had to take the cables off the main transmission.  Actually they came off while I was messing with them trying to get the transmissions to come up over the tray in the cowl vent. 
Terry