News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A PIC FOR J --------->

Started by RICH MUISE, 2016-03-21 20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Hey Jay..one of the guys on the Hamb posted this pic. It was taken a bit before our time there, '54.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich
That's Richard's  Drive in for sure.  It would have been about two years before I got my drivers license.  By coincidence I was scheduled to take my driving test in Somerville which is next to Cambridge where Richard's was located.   Thank You  J >>>----------->

djfordmanjack

you know what's cool Jay, they also have cArb service, so now you know where to take your 57 when the gas starts getting stale again....hahaha...

Ecode70D

Rich
   I just emailed the picture of Richard's drive in to my wife's computer.

Guenter
   My wife  was a car hop at that same Richard's drive in about 1964-65  right around the time when Rich was a customer there and was living here in Mass.   This was before he abandoned our fair state and moved to the west coast for more sunshine.

RICH MUISE

Ha...just following orders...your wife may have been the one there that told me to get as far away from her as I could, lol.

djfordmanjack

hahaha....both of you guys still have your delightful sense of OEM Mass humor....haha :003:.... I miss that over here !!!

djfordmanjack

boys, I did a little online search. Happy Easter !

Jay I hope you can show this to Gerda on the ipad. Otherwise I'll send them by mail.
the b&w have high resolution. you can clearly see that they had cArb service. :003: Now I know why Gerda likes old cars so much...haha....

Ecode70D

In those days I was driving my 56 Ford  with 292 Y block  I would like to imaging my car in one of those pictures.
Rich what were you driving in those days?   

djfordmanjack

want to pull in that drive-in with my 57 too!!!!

RICH MUISE

Wow, you did do some research. A big thanks for posting those. I doubt it's still there. Jay??
Also, there was another car hop place not to far from there which is actually where I spent most of my trips. Can't remember the name of it, but when you got to the end of route2 from the west, there was a rotary where you made a right turn then over a bridge. I think there was a big Purina dog food plant there, and Arthur D. Little Company was on your right across from that other  car hop I can't remember the name of, just over that bridge on the left as you were heading into Boston / Cambridge. The Arthur D. Little company was a big think tank where alot of the MIT grads worked. One of my science teachers worked there in the summers. I asked him what he did there one day. He said, "what did I do? It's a think tank. We think".
What was I driving? A brand new 64 Galaxie 500 Convertible. Rare car...6 cyl. 3 speed manual on the tree!! Bought it my senior year in High School. Had to borrow 200. from my parents for the down payment. The 6 cyl. was what convinced my mom to lend me the money. I never would open the hood for my friends to see. I just told them it was a 6 and they never believed me for months, so the cool factor remained.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-03-28 15:41
Wow, you did do some research. A big thanks for posting those. What was I driving? A brand new 64 Galaxie 500 Convertible. Rare car...6 cyl. 3 speed manual on the tree!! Bought it my senior year in High School. Had to borrow 200. from my parents for the down payment. The 6 cyl. was what convinced my mom to lend me the money. I never would open the hood for my friends to see. I just told them it was a 6 and they never believed me for months, so the cool factor remained.

Rich
      "It's only a six"   I haven't heard that expression in 50 years.    You were a sneak.   
        Guenter is the person that did all that research.  I can't run a computer.  Jay 

hiball3985

I sure miss the drive in days, did mine in 57 & 58 Fords. My first wife worked at one for a short time in 1968.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Jim - do you ever cruise the "Harvey's Broiler" in Downey?  They had car hops.   Although the place has been remodeled and is now a Bob's Big Boy they still had car hops up until a few years ago.  I think the car hops finally went away because of a lack of business.

djfordmanjack

I was there 2 years ago. I think they have a car cruise every Wednesday evening.
and they have delicious HUGE milkshakes

hiball3985

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2016-03-29 08:19
Jim - do you ever cruise the "Harvey's Broiler" in Downey?  They had car hops.   Although the place has been remodeled and is now a Bob's Big Boy they still had car hops up until a few years ago.  I think the car hops finally went away because of a lack of business.
Yes, we would go to Harveys on Friday or Saturday nights. We also cruised between Bobs in Glendale, Burbank and Pasadena. The Burbank/Toluca Lake still has car service and a car show on Fridays, Jay Leno shows up quite often.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang