News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

OK Newbie question/ FE in a 57 Ford Wagon with PS

Started by Roothawg, 2011-04-17 21:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Roothawg

OK, I am just getting the 57 out on the road and the old 292 is tired. I plan on pulling my race car with it and possibly a small travel trailer.  I want to build the engine on a stand and have everything I need before I start.  I plan on doing this maybe over a winter.  I have read through the archives and didn't see a complete guide on what was required. If there is one I apologize. I looked.

Also, I am a real NEWBIE to the FE dept.

I have always been a sbc guy but I wanna keep this Ford all Ford.

Thanks

maddog350gt

Roothawg;

I am surprised that you haven't received an answer yet? I am not much of an expert but I'll try to help. Any FE engine should bolt right into your 57. You may need to get FE style motor mounts from a 58 or 59, but I am not sure that the 292/312 mounts won't work. Any of the FE motors will work with PS. You might have some problems with PB if you put a 427 with the high penta valve covers in it as the booster will hit the valve covers. I am planning on using a hydraulic pump run off of the power steering with a remote mounted accumulator to get PB on my 427 powered 57 Sunliner. Most Ford Transmissions will fit the car but you might need to get an adapter for the FE motor depending on your choice of trany. FE's are great motors and will give a lot of performance and service, but they tend to be more expensive to build than some of the other choices. Hope this helps.

Bob M.

shopratwoody

I guess we all missed this.
Thd fe's bolt in. I like to use 58 FE motor mounts. Small alteration to rear mount. Use the flat
style exhaust manifolds to keep cost down if you want. Normal driveline adjustments etc. I have a
429 in mine now. It's a tighter fit but it's fine. I used Crites kit to install it with FPA headers.
Hope this helps. The FE is not a hard swap. The Fordo will even work with the right convertor.
I think the conv is a F1. And yes the Fordo is strong enough :003:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!