News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Stock Fairlane, drum brakes, want to add boost unit

Started by ROKuberski, 2013-10-20 21:58

Previous topic - Next topic

ROKuberski

I've thrown in the towel.

I verified that nothing was wrong with my brake system.  The new boost unit and master cylinder are good.  To raise the boost unit so as to clear the exhaust manifold, there is a lever system.  That all worked freely.  I verified that there was no binding in the movement of any part of the system and still I did not have good braking.

So, this morning, I removed the lever system and boost unit and installed the new dual chamber master cylinder directly to the firewall.  It was a perfect fit and the original push rod was just right too.  I took the car for a test drive and the brakes work as well as they did before I started this whole mess.

So, I gained a dual master cylinder, but not power brakes.

The weather is starting to warm up and I am going to drive the car for a while.  Disk brakes may be in my future, but not this year.

Thanks for putting up with me on this mess,

Rich

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the update, Rich. Sorry it didn't work out the way you expected...I sure understand throwing in the towel, I've got a whole pile of them in the corner of my garage.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Can anybody with one of these hydroboost setups tell me if the PS fluid/lines/boost unit getting very hot in a short period of time (2-3 minutes) is normal. This afternoon I let the engine run for 5 minutes or so and when I took the cap off the reservoir, the fluid was steaming.

Ford Blue blood

Shoot that bad boy with an infared heat gun (Lowes has them cheap) and relay the temp.  Might just be moisture you are seeing? 

Power steering systems run very hot to start with.  Many have coolers to help keep the temps down....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Never did check the cooler to see if the fluid was getting that far. Good to know they normally run hot. Mine may seem hotter than normal because the tank and the lines are stainless rather than rubber hoses and plastic reservoir.
Just realized I posted this under the wrong thread...sorry

SkylinerRon

There was probably a reason Ford didn't use a firewall mount booster on Y-Blocks.
I think the location of the exhaust overheats the brake fluid causing it to boil.
Try to locate a 57-58 underdash set-up. They work great and the rebuild kit is available.
Once you get it working you can switch to a Granada (or other) m/c for dual lines.
Goodluck, i know this has been frustrating for you.
Ron.

cliff

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2013-10-20 21:58
My car is just about completely stock, but I would like to add a power boost unit for the drum brakes.

I do know that the left side exhaust manifold is very close to the master cylinder and has caused fit up problems for others.

Has anyone done this?  If so, where did you get your boost unit?

This guy description claims his will work.  I've sent an email to confirm about clearance on the exhaust manifold, but he has not answered yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221290160453?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Has anyone used this unit?

Rich

cliff

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-10-20 22:51
Did you see this thread?  He used a 7" booster after an 8" wouldn't fit.  Wonder if he got his from the same vendor?
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=4501.msg30965#msg30965
i have a 57 ranchero,used a 7in booster with 15/16 master,still has poor brakes. need a biger booster,but wher to put it.the problem is slightley beter than the1in that came with a kit,my engin is stock so vavume is good.

SkylinerRon

You  need a 1.125" master cyl  w/57 brakes to be effective.
Stock manual brakes use a 1".  15/16's" is not applying enough fluid pressure.
Goodluck,
Ron.

Ray

This is interesting to me. I have several stock power brake units. I intend to use the existing factory under dash power brake system in my green car with a modern disk brake system. Has anyone attempted this before? If so, what were the results?
One reason I have elected to use the factory system is clearance and appearance under hood. I would love to here from someone that has attempted this before.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

lalessi1

All any brake booster does is add force to pedal. The under the dash unit will work. I am planning on using one if I can find all the parts...project 11 on the list!
Lynn

SkylinerRon

The booster also allows use of the larger bore m/c that pushs more fluid and/or a shorter stroke
with less effort.

Rebuild kits for the stock unit are available.

Ron.

Ray

Thanks Ron,

I have a few of these systems, only enough parts to make two complete. One is in the willow convert. That is the one I intend to do disk brakes with. the other two are one stick setup and one automatic. The automatic will go on the coral E, the stick will get sold or traded. BTW, the brake support for stick is not the same as auto. Not a big deal but it has an extra hole for the clutch return spring.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

SkylinerRon

Also the "Swiftsure" pedal for a stick car is unobtainenum. No repops yet......

Ron.