News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4.6 being installed now

Started by RICH MUISE, 2012-12-03 22:34

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

"I know where are the pictures"...you DO have esp!
Keep us posted. Thanks
The reason I was asking about your tranny was I was wondering what you used for the tranny mount (the removable pad) and what you did fot the crossmember. I assume the tranny mounting holes for the manual are in the same location as the Automatic, but I don't know for sure. You probably didn't have the tranny oilpan clearance problem I had, resulting in the mods to my oem crossmember.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Rlibew....any updates??
also..on one of your last updates you mentioned...
"All plumbing for intercooler and pump in place with moon eyes type tank fabricated, best of all, all fits with stock 57 aluminum radiator in stock location."
Here's my ignorance poping out here...you have a manual 5 speed...I thought intercoolers were an automatic tranny thing. Could someone enlighten me?

Ford Blue blood

He has a blower engine.  For the Ford blown engines they installed an intercooler to cool down the air after the blower.  It is a water to air cooler, has it's own "radiator", water pump, intercooler and tank.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Ok, thanks Bill. Guess I'm not missing anything on mine then.

RICH MUISE

Made an interesting discovery today while cleaning the engine/tranny I pulled from the Mark viii. The valve covers are aluminum! Hmmm. Wonder how they'd look polished. I had assumed that red Custom that's been at Mecham's twice had chromed valve covers...maybe not. Think I'll be figuring out how to polish aluminum.
Anyways, cleared a path on the Lincoln with the sawzall after unspotwelding the inner bumper, and just rolled her on out. The cherry picker is being attached after the clip was rolled out.Today, I'll raise it off the clip and get that put back on the Lincoln so I can get it out of the way. Got the engine and tranny cleaned up a bit, need to pull the exhaust, and switch oil pans. Shoot...forgot to get the front sump oil pan painted.

RICH MUISE

Another interesting discovery....I was at our local yard checking out a '98 Mark viii for the cop valve covers. The car had already had one of the valve covers removed, so no luck there, but I did discover that the front wheel drive Continental 4.6's have a very flexible, heavy rubber intake for the throttle body rather than the hard plastic on the others. This may come in handy if building a custom air intake..and of course it even has the sensor mounts molded in. I may go back next week with some tools and grab one while it's there....and get a pic.
Rich

wildhog

Rich ,Go over to the HAMB site and do a search for alum.polishing, There is a guy that custom polishes for a good price.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

I'll keep that in mind, Tom. Thanks for posting. I'm a ways from that point as it's not the valve covers on the engine now I want polished. My plans are to get it installed and running with no mods first, then change to the COP after that.
I'm actually getting close to having the motor in. Got the car out of the dirt floor shed today and up on my driveway. First thing in the morning, I'm gonna drop the rack out just to make sure I don't damage it, and the tranny crossmember (maybe), then I'll get to find out if all my mock up work with the plastic block and gutted tranny case worked. I'll be really happy if I can get this puppy in and bolted down once with no in-and-outs as planned.
That Mark viii I sold to a now friend, is already being put to good use. He's installing the independent rear suspension into a '56 ford pickup. It's been interesting to watch the progress on this. I didn't realize those Mark rear suspensions came out as a complete clip, just like the front. looks like a much easier install than I would have thought. If they can work out the strut towers, he's going to install the entire front clip  from the mark as well. Otherwise, just the traditional install of the 4.6 dohc/tranny.

hiball3985

You will be on the road in no time now :002:. Just get it back in the shed before the next hail storm. Looks good Rich.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Well, the Mark viii is on it's way to fulfilling it's........

RICH MUISE

Probably overly sentimental, but the day I took the Mark viii out for it's last drive, I noticed the tire series for the first time. Anyway, the engine is in...hopefully ain't coming out again. Everything looks as planned, except I had some type of gizmo attached to the bottom of the throttle body intake that wouldn't clear by about 1/4". I pulled it, may have to remount/replumb/rewire to another location. I don't even know what it is at this point, but got some numbers, so I'll check with Ford and see what function it performs, then with Ron Francis to see if it's needed.
I've got about 1/2 clearance to the actual throttle body depending on where the tranny height ends up. the slots in the motor mount pads lined up perfectly, so I guess the mock up block was accurate.
I did a quick look-see at the exhaust manifolds, looks like they are going to be needing to be located before the manifold studs are installed. First look seems like the manifolds would clear easily if the studs weren't there, so I'll pull the studs out that I just installed...fortunatly with anti-sieze rather than loctite.
Had to cover everthing up...starting to rain. I'm anxious to get the exhaust manifolds in so I can check steering clearances with the r&p. Hopefully clear skies tommorrow.

hiball3985

Excellent Rich. Those gizmos will get you every time, must be destiny  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-09-27 12:47
You will be on the road in no time now :002:. Just get it back in the shed before the next hail storm. Looks good Rich.
Yeah, but "no time" is the problem, and another 6-8K to finish it up. Got almost all of the wiring yet to do, finish the interior including having a dash gauge panel custom machined,air/heat,rearend,fuel system,etc.,etc. I'm probably looking at 2 years.
Hailstorms are in the area tonight...not ready to go back in the garage, and that's a 2 hour thing with taking down a fence, and a large panel in the garage that gets screwed on/off to get the car out. I pulled it out with my Jeep and a rope, but It'd be tough trying to push it back with a rope. Got a couple of 2" thick foam bed toppers ready just in case.

hiball3985

Thats why I mentioned it, I was watching the weather channel..

Off topic, but I got some pictures from Jay and the new paint on the Ecode, I'm sure he will post them soon.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-09-27 18:17
Excellent Rich. Those gizmos will get you every time, must be destiny  :003:
Did some checking. That gizmo is the egr valve. It's the valve itself, rather than it's attached sensors and tubes that is hitting the firewall.
So, somebody please educate me on egr valves...I believe they 'recycle' the exhaust fumes? Can they be deleted from the system without reprogramming the computer, which I don't want to do, or do I have to make room or modify it's location?