News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear end gear

Started by nick, 2007-03-09 22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

nick

my ranchero has the stock 9 inch rear end from the factory, the car was the plain jane model 6 cly. no radio,clock,one sun visor, not real sure what the gear ratio is, fairly high. could someone till me how many splines are on the end of the axle.   thanks

fomocochoptop

I beleive it is a 28 spline axle.  What does you data plate on the drive side door hinge area say.

nick

6 cyl. 223, 144 hp
dearborn, mi.
ranchero
66a
willow green
may 17
3 speed

shopratwoody

Nick,
mine was also a 6 cyl. It came with 28 spline axels, also had the big bearing housing.
later, Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

57AGIN

Nick:

My Custom 300 was originally a 6 cyl. I'm not sure about the size of the bearing housing, but the original 3:70's are still in the car, the axles were originally 28 spline.  The 3:70's are a pretty good combination gear, but a little steep for freeway cruising.

Bob
57AGIN

bagboy

mine also had 223 -6 .4:11 to1 big bearing 28 spline  no o/d

fomocochoptop

I beleive Station wagons and Rancheros are all Big bearings.  Just Got my hands on 9'' Rear end posi with 3.70 gears 28 spline.  Im Running a 351 windsor mated to an AOD. I Should be got for the Highway.

bagboy

sounds like my combo-351w AOD  3:55 to 1  Rellly works good -20mpg at 65.  Step on the gas and She goes  Wawwwwww!!!!  :burnout:

FORDNUT

I'm running a 351w/AOD with a 370 rear. I actually think it could maybe be a little steeper. Got to factor in your tire size when changing your gear. :smtree2:
At my age I am not required to act mature.