News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake mods...answers please...

Started by mustang6984, 2021-06-27 18:05

Previous topic - Next topic

mustang6984

Will the Master Cylinder and Booster, and front calipers and rotors from a '95 Mustang GT fit our '57's? What adjustments do I need to make? I can get a set-up for my car, and would like to use it if I can.

Thanks in advance. 
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Rancher

Mustang's knuckle was no longer the long-running opposed ball-joint type, so that's out. Mustang wheel bearings are unit type, so hubs won't fit on '57 spindle.

mustang6984

Okay...thanks for the info.

Suggestions then? Trying to collect parts now so I can spend winter working on the car instead of sourcing parts. Any info appreciated. (want to keep her all Ford...I have this distaste for GM parts...even if they might work.)  Thanks.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

brushwolf

The crowd favorite seems to be Granada. I have 71 Lincoln Mark 3 spindles and disks on my 57. They fit right on stock ball joints and tie rods, but parts are expensive compared to Granada stuff.  How about 71-73 Mustang or 70's era Torino?
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

mustang6984

Thanks...I will check that out! Granada seems to work on a lot of stuff...including early Mustangs.
And you're right...the Lincoln stuff is more expensive...that is what Saleen used on his first gen Mustangs...already done that once.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

I have a setup out of a '71 Cougar.  I can add to your pile.

Rancher

Has anybody tried "modern" '79-up Crown Vic, Panther, etc.?
Knuckle was still approximately the same "formula" as '57.

Main advantage is that they'd be super plentiful today.
'03 up is unit wheel bearing with maybe an awkward offset to wheels. '02 down is typical of old rwd design.

FWIW, I found that 16" '02 type police steel rims and rubber were a   bolt-on to '57 with OE '57 wheel ends, front and rear; cleared well.

brushwolf

I think those were front steer, unlike 50's Fords rear steer. Have long ago seen swaps on other brands where they swapped spindles side-to-side to get around that, but suspect there must be a reason that never caught on.

I cut the suspension arm ends, tie rods off and saved a set of spindles still assembled with all brake components off an 89 Crown that are still sitting in a storage trailer. Easier and that way I could compare ball joint and tie rod profiles if I ever decided to try and put them on something.
51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

mustang6984

Quote from: gasman826 on 2021-06-28 08:30
I have a setup out of a '71 Cougar.  I can add to your pile.

Thanks Gary...appreciate it.
I am planning on a departure of the 6th...with a side trip into Milwaukee to see a buddy. I'll have an arrival date at your place sometime in the next couple of days and let you know.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

gasman826

It is the spindle, caliper and rotors.  Calipers are cores and the rotors are...well they're 50 years old.  They will be in your pile so you can look at them and decide.  I installed a hydraulic booster and master cylinder from a '97 Mustang GT in the Raunch Wagon.  If the '95 GT parts are the same, the booster will bolt to the existing holes in the fire wall and pedal support.  I replaced the Mustang booster to firewall angled adapter with a flat plate that was tapped for studs.  The power steering pump supply lines and brake lines are metric so adapters will be required or some method of 'gender mending'.  At the time of installation, the Windsor engine was installed so I used the Windsor PS pump with no issues. 

mustang6984

Clean looking install. Since it will be going into the Courier I should be able to do all the same.

I'll have my son check the rotors (he works at O'Reillys) and see how much is left if anything.

I suspect the '95 & '97 will be the same.
Nothing is impossible...
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

lalessi1

My car had early '70s spindles and brakes from a Torino. I didn't like the setup, the brakes were HEAVY and the single pistons caliper slide design was poor in my mind. I also thought the geometry was not right even though the spindles fit. I went to stock spindles and an aftermarket 4 piston setup.
Lynn

KULTULZ

I know this is late, but please bare with me ...

Check-out this front system. Uses stock spindles and is aluminum four piston caliper which is far superior to a sliding or floating caliper design (IMO).

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-13653&year=1957&make=Ford&model=Skyliner&option=Base
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

lalessi1

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2022-01-07 01:07
I know this is late, but please bare with me ...

Check-out this front system. Uses stock spindles and is aluminum four piston caliper which is far superior to a sliding or floating caliper design (IMO).

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitsProdFront?itemno=140-13653&year=1957&make=Ford&model=Skyliner&option=Base

That is exactly what i used and I love the setup. I don't use power assist. i am actually considering the same setup on the rear. Wheel clearance is the reason it my mind.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

certainly would be a nice setup, but "stock spindles"? says 60-68 spindles, so not sure if it fits stock '57 spindles, or the Granadas that many of us have. I know we are talking quality/best regardless of pricing, but they are sure out of my budget range. Even the cheaper kit would be around 900. with shipping and a few bits and pieces to get the job done.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe