News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Headlight bucket parts

Started by Buckaroo, 2021-12-17 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

KULTULZ

The PN I gave was from the 1949/1959 PASS CAR MPC - FINAL ISSUE (1964).

There was much info deleted as cataloging progressed and this seems to be one or a misprint.

I am buying (hopefully) an original 1955/57 FORD CHASSIS CATALOG that will have more exact listings. I will be back on this.

Sorry about that ...
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

KULTULZ

One more ATTACHMENT -
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

Wondering ...

Any luck yet?

Below is a photo of take-outs and you can see the differences. I guess it is a mis-print in the MPC -
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

59meteor

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2021-12-26 10:14
One more ATTACHMENT -
So, did Ford actually offer factory "patch panels"? I have a factory 58/59 Body and Collision Manual, I see that there were replacement rocker panels available, but never noticed lower fender and caps for the front of the fenders.  Interesting that they show the front fender cap listed as "58/58 Ford", when they are very different from for either year. Anybody know if Ford would have had an "anti perforation" warranty against rust thru back in the late 50sÉ If so, I wonder if these fender patch panels would be installed on cars with rusty fenders, that were still fairly new.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

RICH MUISE

Many of the early patch panels were designed to go over the damaged area, not replace it. Did my Dad's 55 chevy convert that way @ the headlights.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KULTULZ

Quote from: 59meteor on 2022-01-05 19:28

So, did Ford actually offer factory "patch panels"? I have a factory 58/59 Body and Collision Manual, I see that there were replacement rocker panels available, but never noticed lower fender and caps for the front of the fenders.  Interesting that they show the front fender cap listed as "58/58 Ford", when they are very different from for either year. Anybody know if Ford would have had an "anti perforation" warranty against rust thru back in the late 50sÉ If so, I wonder if these fender patch panels would be installed on cars with rusty fenders, that were still fairly new.

Yes. The ILL's I showed are from the MPC. There were also quarter panel repair sections available. Rocker panels and flooring were regular service replacement items.

These were designed to replace rusted/damaged sheet metal. Rust is like cancer, it has to be cut out or it still keeps going

1957-58-59 are differentiated.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

OK... (And I Realize This Is An Older Thread) ...

Both HDLS are the same (L&R). The fender extensions (OEM) have the same bucket mounting pattern (L&R)-

To Wit -

FENDER EXTENSIONS _1 - 1957 FORD HDL PANELS.jpg

- (DONATED IN ABSENTIA BY JEFF NORWELL) -

For whatever reason, a REPRO FDR EXT(s) is reverse stamped -

FENDER REPAIR PANEL (HDL) - 1957 FORD - L & R (REPRO).png

Maybe this is the cause of confusion?

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

gasman826

The pictured headlight repair panels are not NOS...they are aftermarket.  NOS had the holes drilled for the headlight buckets and had Ford part numbers stenciled with yellow paint.  I bought some NOS rocker repair panels from the dealership where I worked.  There were two different styles:  one slip-on used for warrantee work and the other OEM rocker for customer pay insurance work.

KULTULZ

Quote from: gasman826 on 2022-10-08 17:14The pictured headlight repair panels are not NOS...they are aftermarket.

... hmmph ... I am pretty sure I indicated that ...

QuoteFor whatever reason, a REPRO FDR EXT(s) is reverse stamped

EDIT -

The reason I posted the photo of the repros is if anyone comes across this in the future, the car may have repro FDR EXTENSIONS rather than original factory or correct service replacements.

Now I understand why FORD used the same HDL ASSY(s) right and left.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

lalessi1

I saw the picture of the aftermarket "pair" on eBay. That is one photograph of the left panel. The "right" is the same photo that is reversed. I bet the actual stampings are correct...?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KULTULZ

You know something? I noticed that also but it didn't dawn on me.

THANX! for the wake-up call ...  :006:
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

Well, I am still confused (admittingly it doesn't take much) ...

Quote from: 57chero on 2021-12-22 17:43POST #13 -

Well, I was wrong. The openings on the fenders are shaped different where the bucket goes in, so there is a right and a left.

And Then -

Quote from: KULTULZ on 2022-01-05 17:47POST #19 -

Below is a photo of take-outs and you can see the differences. I guess it is a mis-print in the MPC.

On 2nd look, both assemblies are the same if you orientate them correctly.

So why all the confusion in the first posts in this thread?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960