News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane Y Block

Started by chapingo17, 2022-02-16 10:33

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

Not sure if anyone has encounter this issue, I notice after driving my vehicle right after, I open the hood and find engine oil inside on top of the hood (passenger side) almost like a spray of engine oil. Not sure exactly is coming from Y block 292 engine. I looked around, but I have not able to point out where is it coming from. I will keep on looking any advise would really help me out. Thanks in advance.

thomasso

Probably coming out of breather cap. If you are still running a road draft tube check the filter for clogging.  Of course it could be valve cover gaskets or a number of things and being blown around. Consider a PCV system.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

chapingo17

No problem, I think you are right is coming from the oil breather. I installed a PCV system as close as I could I will check the vacuum lines & PCV.

KULTULZ

Can you post a photo of the PCV install?
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

chapingo17

I actually drill a hole into the valve valley cover and took a vacuum hose and plumb into intake manifold. I saw an old diagram about the 1963 F100 were they actually use that port for a PCV hook up. I will post pictures of my work.

hiball3985

Important that the PCV valve flows in the right direction also, they are not all the same.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

That and there needs to be a "trap" before the PCV valve to separate oil mist from fumes.  This can be as simple as course steel wool in a can drilled with many holes around it's circumference and a couple in the bottom for the separated oil to drain bock.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

thomasso

When you do a PCV system plug the holes on the breather cap and route the inlet air from the block breather hole to a nipple installed in the air cleaner for fresh filtered air.  If you leave the filler cap open dirty air will be sucked into engine.  Sorry I am away from home and don't have pictures avail.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

chapingo17

I believe I build a trap at the valley cover and plumb it to the intake manifold, I'm away from home right now ,but I will try to take some pics when I get home.

BP57CUSTOM

I bought an aluminum valley pan from John Mummert about 5 months ago, it has the pcv hole and baffle on it. It does not have any steel wool or anything inside the baffle. I called John before installing to see if it should have anything inside and he said it didnt need any but if I wanted to put something in there it would be ok. I did not put anything in the baffle. The pcv hose runs from the valve to the pcv hookup on my Summit carburator. The car runs as good as it did before the pcv add , no smoke or anything. I blocked off the crankcase filter on the side of the block. The valley cover does not leak oil and my aluminum valve covers do not leak. I made a 200 mile roadtrip to Dawsonville Ga. in October and when I got home it dripped a little oil on the floor. The oil level on the stick did not go down any ,probably only lost a spoonful or two but I hate leaks. I have taken several short trips since then and it does not drip when I get home. I dont know where the oil leaked from ,likely the rear seal or possibly the oil pump itself I just dont know.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor

thomasso

Barry;  You are sucking unfiltered air into your engine thru the oil  fill cap with that setup.  That steelwool  in the cap is not much of a filter.  Just saying.

chapingo17

PCV valve is connected to the Valley cover plumb to a three way (Y) that connects in front of intake manifold just underneath carburetor. This intake manifold vacuum fitting port is for the heater control vacuum valve. Vacuum line is around 1/4". I also have a small "trap" just underneath PCV.

ROKuberski

For years, I had a PCV valve installed in the place where the draft tube mounted.  I routed this to the Carb and then when I installed EFI, I connected it to that.  Never had a problem.  I assumed that air went into the crankcase through the oil filler cap.  Below it is mentioned that this will bring in unfiltered air into the crankcase.  Same would be true of the draft tube arrangement.  Below is also mentioned that you should close off the holes on the filler cap and route the inlet air from the low pressure side of the air cleaner.  That would make the crankcase supply air under the same vacuum as the PCV valve.  I don't see how this would work.

Now that I will be installing a remanufactured engine, I am going to drill the valley pan to install the PCV valve.  I had not thought about having a trap under the PCV valve.  There is a baffle mounted to the bottom of the valley pan about 1/4 of the way back from the front of the engine.  I don't know what the function is of this simple piece of shetmetal.  I was planning to install my valve near the left rear on the valley pan.  This location has the best access, but I do need to make sure that hose routing won't interfere with the accelerator linkage.

hiball3985

Quote from: ROKuberski on 2022-03-05 23:00
  Below is also mentioned that you should close off the holes on the filler cap and route the inlet air from the low pressure side of the air cleaner.  That would make the crankcase supply air under the same vacuum as the PCV valve.  I don't see how this would work.

I never understood that either but it worked on all the later PCV systems on many cars. I use a filler cap from a later 60's 289-302, no holes to fill and has a port to connect a hose to air cleaner.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

ROKuberski

The air flow into the crankcase must be very low.  The hole in the bottom of my PVC valve is quite small, 3/32".  When I selected this valve, I looked for one from an engine with about the same displacement as my 292.  What are you guys using?

Rich