News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Crankshaft pulley

Started by clubcoupe57, 2022-11-01 23:20

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

I was pulling the crankshaft pulley on my Y Block and it's about 1/3 of the way off and it stopped and will not move any further, any suggestions,thanks Mike

59meteor

I assume that you are using a proper harmonic balancer puller, that has 2 long bolts that go thru a plate with slots for those bolts, and a larger threaded pulling screw in the center, that contacts the front end of the crankshaft, right? If so, I would check to make certain that the pointed end of the pullers center bolt, is small enough diameter, to allow the bore of the balancer to pass over it. If the end is too large, it could get caught on the edges of the balancer hole.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

clubcoupe57

Thanks 59 meteor, I figured it out, it wasn't the crankshaft pulley, the puller some how got something in the threads and and froze it up maybe from using air gun, oh well, putting on borgeson power steering so I needed to change pulleys, thanks again

SkylinerRon

Using a air gun on pullers is not kool! ask me how I know!

Ron.

Ford Blue blood

Ron I have had more then one of those "learning" experiences!  Some very painful and some just too funny!  The worst was spraying a 65 T-bird with urethane primer and forgetting the activator! 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

SkylinerRon

I guess most of us have had an "Oh ****" moment or two....

geraldchainsaw

I made my own puller,  its  not hard