News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Borgeson steering box

Started by clubcoupe57, 2022-11-02 22:12

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Any one know how much to cut off the steering shaft on my 57 Fairlane to weld the new Borgeson coupler on, also I was thinking of just cutting the shaft off at the steering box to make it easier to remove the steering box, have to shorten it anyway any suggestions are welcomed thanks

abe_lugo

The box is easy to remove with the shaft if you just lift the car up on jackstands.

Or you can just loosen and pull the sleeve or column jacket and cut it from the engine compartment. 

Please document how the inside looks with the coupler also are you keep ending the columns shift? I think you need to go to a cable?

I might try this route with one of my '57s

Also check the Hamb social forums there might be more info there.

You have join the forum to see all the posts.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

clubcoupe57

Thanks Abe appreciate the info.

lalessi1

I put a rag joint on mine but I had to build a box to cover it as part of the plate that is on the firewall. I was under the impression that the coupler transmitted a little noise into the cabin. I shortened the column and the shaft to move the steering wheel closer to the dash. That length was limited by my tach which I wanted to keep on the column.
Lynn

clubcoupe57

I also have issues with crank pulley adapter, it doesn't seat all the way in the stock crank pulley lacks about a 1/2 inch, I guess I'll see if it lines up with the new pump.any ideas thanks

abe_lugo

What engine are you running?

What pump is recommended with this box?
Do you have that setup already?

I would roughly set up the ps bracket and pump with the pulley on and then rough in the crank pulley and and see it it's even close. 

Did you happen to d finish up the column work? Any pics?
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008