News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

conversion to alternator on a 223

Started by David70A, 2023-03-01 16:08

Previous topic - Next topic

David70A

Has anyone here converted from generator to alternator on a 223?  Generator is bad on mine and just weighing options with no strong predisposition.  Thanks for any thoughts!

David

59meteor

Powermaster makes an "Power Gen" alternator that essentially is built into a stock looking generator body, so it looks original, if that is a concern, and supposedly fits the original mounting brackets. I have a later mid 90s Motorcraft 3G 130 amp alternator on my 59s 428 FE, but that was a simple swap, as I just used alternator brackets from a later (65 thru 76) FE vehicle. Pretty sure the 223 was out of production, when Ford made the switch to alternators, so no factory alternator brackets for a 223, but I imagine that if you can do some fabricating, shouldn`t be all that difficult to mount an alternator to your engine.  Although some guys like the GM style "1 wire" conversion alternators, I myself am not a fan,
as they require you to rev the engine up to make the alternator "kick in" to start charging, plus your factory in dash GEN warning will not function. Plus I didn`t want to see any GM parts on my Ford whenever I opened the hood.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

abe_lugo

The 223 has for to exist with an Alt.  There are '64 Galaxies that are 223 with power steering, and ac. 

Here is 223 Ford engine with an Alt. In a 1961 F100

At least looks like an alternator. I didn't do the conversion.  Maybe will be able to get more pics this weekend
12AB0125-8650-426C-9C56-648CC8D7AA5F.jpeg
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

59meteor

While that may be an alternator on a 223, that is not a factory setup. First off, that is a GM alternator, and in 1961, neither Ford or Chevy were factory equipped with an alternator, they were still using generators. So somebody has added a GM alternator to that Ford engine. The adjusting bracket seems to have been modified and welded as well. One thing, that I have wondered about the Ford 223s, is the valve cover. All the 57-58 223s that I have seen, had the valve cover held down by 2 studs with nuts, sticking thru the top of the valve cover, similar to a Y Block V8, but I have seen early 60s 223s with the valve cover using a series of bolts around the perimeter lower flange, like in that photo. On 59 Fords, I have seen them both ways, some with the 2 studs on the top, some with the lower flange bolts. Have to wonder if Ford made a running change sometime during 59 production, or if maybe one plant used 1 style, and another used the other. Same with the Holley 1 barrel carb, I have seen some with glass float bowls, and others with a metal bowl.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

hiball3985

I'm sure there could have been a mid or late 59 change on the head/valve cover. I've only seen them on 60 and later. In 1960 the passenger car engines got zero lash rockers, the trucks retained regular adjustable. So many variations over those years.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

abe_lugo

Quote from: 59meteor on 2023-03-03 06:54While that may be an alternator on a 223, ...

wasn't saying that was stock, just a solution. I found an image of another one, will post in a sec. also yeah these seem to be the 60's and later engine.

Also what I meant was that there are '64 Galaxies with 223 engines, that is the change over year where some cars had a gen or alt, but it might have depnding on the trim level.  260's all got gen,  289 seems to have alt on the Fairlanes.

Personally I would rather have generator- it runs fine on my '57

But also sounds like some people use the  original bracket and just setup up some spacers to align the pulleys.

also another guy talking about it with some pics here https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1262766-223-i6-alternator-conversion.html

223 rotated.jpg
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

David70A

Thanks so much for the ideas and photos.  We talked it over yesterday and the mechanic friend tackling this feels pretty confident we can make it work with a bracket we'll have made and maybe a 1980's range Ford alternator. I'll send in some photos when we do it or some more questions if we can't!