News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1957 Fairlane Front Brake Drums

Started by chapingo17, 2023-03-10 11:37

Previous topic - Next topic

chapingo17

I was in the process of adjusting my front drum brakes. While adjusting I notice my front drivers pads are cracked  ( I will replace with new), but when I rebuild front brakes I lost the return spring is around 7" long sits in the middle of brake pads. I installed a different one, but I don't think is working. Not sure if need to replace it with the exact same one, I can use another type, or if anyone has a spare one let me know. I'm also I need of a front brake cylinder push pin.

58villager

probably best to replace all the hardware , kits not that expensive . did my 58 Edsel wagon ,stops straight no pulls caused by uneven braking. found hardware kit for mid 60's ford truck.
58 edsel villager big block (300 6cyl )58 edsel bermuda resto. project,78 ford king cobra 5.0/4speed

lalessi1

I think I have a new spring. PM me if you want it.
Lynn

chapingo17

When rebuilding brakes I tried to find new hardware, but I was not able to find it Where did you get the spring hardware from?

lalessi1

I bought mine from Concours Parts. Did you get the PM I sent? There is a link in it. You can have what I didn't use, the kit does 4 wheels and I only did the rears.

https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000051e~Z5Z5Z513871~P41.50~~~~S6KH1FDXLO23114113103a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000051e
Lynn

chapingo17

Here a picture of what I need.

chapingo17

I can send you my address in the PM.

lalessi1

I thought this was the return spring... I don't have the spring in the picture, sorry.
return spring.JPG
Lynn

cokefirst

For those looking for drum brake hardware.  Try Gotham Parts.  He has a store on Ebay and his kits are COMPLETE.  He may sell the individual springs also.  If you contact him direct he will sell you the kit at a discount since he will not have to pay the ebay fees.  Good guy to deal with IMHO.
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

chapingo17

No problem thank you. That middle spring would that be considered a return spring too?

lalessi1

I am looking at "Fig. 8-Conventional Car Front Brake Assembly" on page 6-8 of the shop manual. It only shows (3) springs, (2) retracting springs and (1) adjusting screw spring. I have those. I don't see any spring like the one you are looking for. What am I missing?front brake.jpg
Lynn

chapingo17

My 57 Fairlane 500 has a middle retracting spring, I was looking at Gotham Auto Parts on Ebay and they do supply full brake shoe hardware including retracting spring mentioned above. Not sure if its vital or not. When I have a chance I will take a picture on the front side that has a spring. I was able to E-Mail Gotham Auto Parts, he did not sell it individually, but directed me to the right place to buy it. On that same note, I notice brake shoes are wider in the front than on the rear. Would there be a difference brake size (width) from maybe a regular Fairlane, 300 Custom, etc? Here is a link to the website if anyone is interested. https://classicautoparts.com/brake-shoe-retracting-spring-411

lalessi1

Very interesting! The shop manual I have has the lining width listed as 2 1/4" for both shoes in the front and 1 3/4" for both in the rear. The primary side length is 11.62" and the secondary side is 11.93" for the front. That is  the same for all Customs and Fairlanes.

The primary side on a drum brake system is NOT self-actuating while the secondary side is. The rotating drum tends to pull the rear shoe into the drum with the pivot at the top while the front shoe is "pushed" away. Because of that action the shoes have different areas so that the braking pressure is balanced with the same hydraulic force on each. Maybe somebody put a rear and a front shoe on the front of your car?

I suspect the long spring you are looking for was deleted as a running change, I doubt it is necessary based on the shop manual info I have. What is the car's "birthday"? Just curious.
Lynn

chapingo17

It think my brakes are correct not swapped from front to back.That is pretty wild, I asked Gotham Auto Parts about this particular spring and told me that his book states using that middle spring no exceptions. He also told me spring is listed for all 1957 thru 1959 & 1957-1960 Thunderbirds. If you notice on your manual picture, right underneath the retracting spring there an extra hole (brake shoe) were the shoe to shoe spring goes. There is even a Ford part # for spring B7A2035A Brake shoe return spring Front Upper Spring 7-3/4" Long Shoe to Shoe. Gotham Auto Parts on Ebay list a kit including spring. Here is the link to purchase complete brake shoe hardware:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/223516869788?hash=item340aa4c49c:g:fn8AAOSwS2Vc3Gdz

Great information about the size for front brake shoes, I remember when putting brakes together I did notice one brake shoe being longer than the other (Primary- Secondary Brake Shoe). When you mention brake shoe length is over all length or lining length? 

lalessi1

The manual I use is a reprint of the original factory manual.The brake specifications list among other things the lining length. The specs for Thunderbird brakes linings are completely different from passenger cars. The front T-bird linings are different widths and lengths for the primary and secondary, 2"x 10.67" and 2.5"x 12.13" respectively. The rear T-bird brakes also are different in width and length than passenger cars and even the brake cylinder is larger.  T-birds use the same size master cylinder and drum size (width and diameter). I believe that the T-bird brakes are tweaked for the differences in weight and weight distribution as well as intended use.

There is also a difference in the anchor pin arrangement on the front brakes between T-birds and"conventional cars". On cars the anchor pin is attached to the front spindle, on T-birds it "fastens only to the carrier plate". Perhaps that explains why an additional spring was used on T-birds and not conventional cars?

I find this very interesting. Maybe at some point in the past your car was "upgraded" to T-bird brakes.
Lynn