News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Coil Wire Markings

Started by Randyh, 2023-03-22 06:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Randyh

Looking for information on what the correct markings should be on the high tension coil to distributor wire on non radio equipped cars.  The non-radio equipped cars used a black wire.  The Ford part number appears to be 8EQ 12298. Does anyone have an original wire or definitive information on what markings should be on the wire.
Thanks.

thomasso

Not aware markings.  But the wire should be brown and one loop should be tied in it.  Ford made them too long and the loop was evidentely the solution.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Hoosier Hurricane

Randy:

:I just recently had conversations with Don Antilla about coil wires, he was looking for an original radio resistance wire so he could duplicate it.  At the time I could only find black wires in my stash, then I stumbled into a wire that he wanted and now has.  Anyway, I may have a non-resistance original wire in my stash, I'll take a look and let you know.

Randyh

Tom, Car with radios used a brown suppression wire, the knot was placed in it to help with reducing static.
Hoosier, thanks for any help you can provide.

Hoosier Hurricane

Randy:  I checked my stash, I found one wire that may be an original.  The boots are square top instead of the conical shape of later types.  The wire is black, solid conductor.  I cannot see any markings on the wire like the ones on the resistance wire I sent to Don Antilla.  There are four markers like the ones electricians now use, wrapped around the wire near its center.  I cannot read what they say, but my mind thinks I see an O on the second marker and an L on the 4th one.  Like I said, my mind thinks that, but maybe it wants me to think it says COIL.  The wire is about 14 inches long.  Antilla's wire is 14 1/2 inches.  I doubt if this info is any use to you.  You can have the wire  if you want, it cost me $7.04 to send Don's wire first class mail.   John

Randyh

John, Thanks for looking.  You are correct, without the markings the wire probably doesn't help me out.  I do believe, based on old pictures, that the wire did have having the engineering number on it. 
As to the bands on the wire you have, I don't remember seeing those on any factory pictures, maybe an old aftermarket part.
Randy

jviera

Randy have you checked with Ted Eaton he may have some original plug wire sets. John V

Randyh

John, I will try contacting Ted, thanks for suggestion.