News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Instrument cluster access

Started by tpierce, 2023-04-29 16:13

Previous topic - Next topic

tpierce

I'm trying to install a new speedo cable in my car. I can get my hand up there and manipulate the cable and nut, but I'm having a devil of a time getting things to line up for easy coupling. Is there a way to just tilt the cluster panel toward me so I have better access and can see what the alignment looks like?
I can build it to be better & faster

RICH MUISE

Others can say for sure, but I remember only 2 screws on the outer flange holding the panel in. I don't have a stock panel in mine to look at.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

tpierce

Thanks for the reply Rich. I've taken those 2 screws out, but it doesn't want to budge. I just don't want to force it and break something. I enen remove thr trim piece above the steering column.

hiball3985

Besides the two screws there are 4 nuts along the bottom edge on the inside. Removing those is harder then getting the speedo cable aligned and attached.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

tpierce

Thanks for your reply Jim. I knew there had to be more to it. I did get the cable attached to speedo, but the speedo is not registering. I used one of Lokars U Cut To Fit cables, and I fear the cable end end is not engaging the speedo mechanism. I had to cut the inner cable to there instructions and use a die in a vice to crimp the end that goes in the speedo. I marked it with cable straight on floor then cut 3/16" back and put the end on. I fear that by the time you bend the cable to route to the trans it may have changed the inner cable length. I may try cutting the outer cable back a bit to ensure the inner is engaging the speedo. Something so simple has turned into a 2 day job!