News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

58 Wiper linkage with electric motor

Started by akusler763, 2023-05-10 13:56

Previous topic - Next topic

akusler763

Hey guys, I know I mentioned this in my build thread but wanted to add details. When grabbing parts on a 58, I took the wiper arm linkage and installed that in place of the cable set up. I then mounted an electric motor from the U-pull it yard to my firewall from the interior. The smaller the better for this, although I would avoid rear window motors from vans, SUV's, etc. as they often only have one speed and can have a very long stem. The reason you want a small motor is you will likely have to cut into and modify the defroster plenum. In my picture you may see that I shaped some sheet metal in a cylinder shape and I riveted it to the parts of the plenum I cut out. I then sealed everything with foil ducting tape and painted it black. Looks a bit ugly but can't be seen as it is under the dash and against the Firewall. I was able to modify the arm on the motor, putting in a pin for the 58 arms to rotate on. I will be wiring up a simple switch with only Hi-Low-Park that I bought on eBay for $20. Total cost for the setup will be under $60.
1957 Fairlane 500 2-door Sedan w 390FE/C6
2001 Mustang GT Convertible
2016 F-150
1968 Thunderbird w 429/C6

abe_lugo

Did you add rubber grommet or seal under the post? that gets water in there.  Otherwise looks like a neat trick!
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

akusler763

Quote from: abe_lugo on 2023-05-10 15:14Did you add rubber grommet or seal under the post? that gets water in there.  Otherwise looks like a neat trick!

Yes, the motor I grabbed has a seal for the shaft that I will be using.
2016 F-150

RICH MUISE

You sure kept it a lot simpler than I had to! Good thinking. I have to ask though.......is that a back and forth motor or roundy-round?  most newer cars use the roundy-round, but I just can't get it in my head how your two arms can both connect to the motor spindle.

never mind..............my brain is working better this morning, lol.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

akusler763

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2023-05-10 22:33You sure kept it a lot simpler than I had to! Good thinking. I have to ask though.......is that a back and forth motor or roundy-round?  most newer cars use the roundy-round, but I just can't get it in my head how your two arms can both connect to the motor spindle.

never mind..............my brain is working better this morning, lol.

I have to credit my father as he had the vision. I also had a hard time wrapping my mind around that as the 58 vacuum motor was back and forth. He told me to trust him and as soon as we started fabricating it made sense.
2016 F-150

RICH MUISE

Well, as I said, I finally got my head wrapped around how both arms connected to the spindle, but unless you're not showing us something, I think one wiper is going to be going up while the other is going down. If that's the case, I can tell you how to fix that. You can do an easy visual by just attaching a "finger" of masking tape to the splined post.
Haha.......please let me know.....this was driving me nuts trying to picture it in my head while I was out for a drive today.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe