News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

57 Ford Shootout Columbus, OH

Started by JimNolan, 2015-02-05 08:53

Previous topic - Next topic

suede57ford

I would like to race at the Meltdown as well.  I think my car would fit in well.  Overall my black car is very stock looking.  I have two sets of wheels, the skinnies and slicks set-up as well as the Pro Touring Wheels.   

I'm very concerned that the Meltdown event may get to become so popular that there may not be room for the average guy to enter or race in the next few years.  That's what has happened to the Lone Star Roundup in Austin.

I've sort of been on hold going to events the last few years with my kids so small.   I'm looking forward to doing some racing against some other "old cars" again. 

The guys with the late-model stuff don't understand that our vintage muscle cars are the foundation for the race cars they have now. 

The F-Code '57 Fords were ahead of their time in my opinion, and still fast, even by todays standards. 

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

JimNolan

suede57Ford,
I'm planning on setting up Thursday night if I can. That way as soon as the track opens Friday I'll be ready to go. Racing is Fri, Sat and Sun. It's got big. I plan on parking with the Y-Block guys as long as they'll tolerate me and don't run me off. In the special part of the program the Y-Block guys have they include non-Y-Blocks and we bracket race, so no one has an advantage. I'm slower than what the Y-Block guys have anyway. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Hopefully not Pat.  I was reading yesterday, and the Meltdown Drags don't award any trophies or cash purse..it's all about bragging rights and recreating a better time of drag racing.  I am all for it and definitely wish that would become more prevalent in the south where I am.  Everyone is concerned with becoming the next John Force or whatever, trying to become a star.  I would rather just go and hang out, race, sit and swap lies about the old days, etc. 

I am so covered up with other things right now, I haven't had time to work on my car.  Kids in Robotics, Trail Life USA (Boy Scouts aalternative), shooting sports for one, another about to start fencing (swordsmanship), then church, family time, etc..not much time left.  I do manage to squeeze in a couple hours on Sunday between church services though.  I plan to get my 312 assembled soon.  Will begin with my .040 over 312, with 113 heads and 4v carb for now, just so I can drive it.  Once I get it dialed in, and some other parts made and bought, then I will install my 471 heads and supercharger.  I will still need to have the Paxton gone through before I install it.  Current plans are for a T5 5 speed, diaphragm clutch, 3.70 gears, and steel wheels.   My fun wheels will be my American skinnies and Ford steel wheels with Mickey Thompson rubber all around.  Still researching mufflers, but those Thrush welded mufflers on Ricky Knights 57 are sure sweet sounding.  Those or Dynomax.  Getting ready to pull my car out of the garage and wash it off, get ready to finish painting the car.  Will post some pics of it when the body shell is done...won't be able to change my mind then, lol..
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

suede57ford

I am considering going to the West Coast Y-Block Shoot-0ut that Mummert puts on in May.   My family hasn't been to Cali, but my car has on a past Power Tour,   so we may do the Disney World and the Sand Diego Zoo, while there.   I would like to spend some time with Geoff and John and go by their shop.  My car is pretty darn fast for a full street car.  I still need to redo the exhaust and get some dyno time before making the long haul out there.

I'll keep everybody informed if I get to go.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

wildhog

The MeltDown may very likley outgrow it self. In the next few years, but as I only live about 25 miles from the track and first raced there 50 years ago! I have been assured they will make room for us as we went the 2nd year and have had a good turnout ever since. If they get to the point were they limit the car count, we will just have to register early. I won the 57 Ford shootout last year in my 57 Ragtop ( with the top down). I know we have a couple of 57 F.E. or 385 series entered and I think Royce is bringing his 57 Merc. wagon to run with us. This is turning in to a really great show. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

wildhog

Also on the same subject, to let you know about Columbus. We were the largest group of cars  there the 57 Fords and Y blocks together. It has gotten such a small turn out I don't see how they can keep it running for much longer. I am afraid we will have to look for a new place soon! Tom

JimNolan

Tom,
  I've sent a message to Bob Martin but he hasn't replied so I'll ask you. Are you guys setting up in the same place you did in 2013. The reason I ask is Paul at Meltdown said they'd be inspecting cars on Thursday around noon if I wanted to come earlier than Friday, which I plan to do. I look forward to running your Ranchero. Jim  PS. On the Columbus meet, where do most of the people come from that show up. I think I live in probably the center of activity anyway.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wildhog

We will try to set up close to where we were before.