Front clip / inner fender / core support assembly diagrams

Started by Limey57, 2015-02-27 14:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

As per usual I can't find some bits.........  The inner fenders are bolted to the bulkhead but there seems to be a rubber type of rubber bush (like a body mounting bush) that I can't find, it's the bit circled in the diagram below.  Can anyone advise what size they are and are they just a rubber spacer?  If so I can get some turned up, if they're a bit more than that are they available from anywhere (and what are they called)?

Thanks
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ford Blue blood

The 300 I parted out did not have them and I feel very confident it had never been apart, the 500 I had and sold did not either and my 58 Edsel did not have them and as with the 300 it had not been taken apart until I did....don't know if the Ranchero or Retratable have them.  Might be one of those "don't really need this" items that was cut?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

djfordmanjack

my August 57 Ranch Wagon has them ! I think you are looking for this :
http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_late/front-fender-to-body-anti-squeak-pads-foam-rubber-pair-1.html
I just ordered them a few days ago and they are square not round as shown in the body manual. they are also square on my car.

RICH MUISE

Limey...I believe the square pads you ordered are for the front outer fender, not the inner fender. I believe they are the ones that go on the front door post area where the threaded stud in on the fender.....close to the door opening and if I remember a foot or more up from the bottom.
I found some 2" x 1/8 thick round rubber "washers" at Lowes that will work quite nicely I think. I also found there some 2" ss fender washers. I was planning on two rubber washers sandwiching  a ss washer between the inner fender and firewall, and then another of each on the wheel side.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Rich, it was me who ordered the pads, Limey is still searching what he needs. you could be right with the center a pillar bolt, but the one shown in the diagram above seems to be for attaching the inner fender to the cowl. And there's the square foam pads in my and Canadian Ranchero's car. I haven't pulled my fenders as of now, so I can't tell about the center a pillar bolt.

canadian_ranchero

the original pads on my wagon are round rubber

Limey57

Thanks, been away for the weekend so only just managed to reply!  Bolting the inner passenger side fender to the bulkhead gives the problem that the inner fender hits the heater blower housing, it's like it needs spacing away from the bulkhead by about half an inch which makes me think the bits I need are a hard rubber rather than foam.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

I only checked the drvrs side it has the thin square pad. I will check the pssgr fender tomorrow.

Limey57

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2015-03-08 17:20
I only checked the drvrs side it has the thin square pad. I will check the pssgr fender tomorrow.

Thanks for that!  There's nothing more frustrating than having nice shiny freshly painted parts to bolt back together and being held up by a small, insignificant part.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

djfordmanjack

just the thin pad, maybe 5mm thick, also on the psgr side, the inner fender clears the heater motor by 10mm = 3/8"
maybe the crown of your inner fender isn't correct or it will be pulled forward when the fenders and frontend are correctly shimmed.
I'll get you a pic in the evening. Guenter

djfordmanjack

heres the pics,shows heater motor clearance and the square thin foam pad

Limey57

That's great, thank-you!

I'm hopefully fitting the radiator core support tomorrow which will then dictate the height and position of the inner fenders so I can have a better idea of clearances.  I've got some 1/4" rubber sheet so I'll make some spacers up.
Gary

1957 Ranchero