News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

EFI 5.0 in `57 Ford

Started by JPotter57, 2006-12-10 18:04

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

fiv7ford
Site Admin

Posted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: EFI 5.0 in `57 Ford   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dragpak
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/4/02 12:22 pm)
Reply Late model 302 EFI in a '57
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone out there done this before? What type of motor mounts will I need? What about the wiring harness? I have been told that I need to get the harness that came with the engine that I use.I am planning on using the late model AOD tranny as well. What about a crossmember for the trans? Thanks in advance for all the help!!

dgasman
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/5/02 1:26 pm)
Reply Re: Late model 302 EFI in a '57
I installed a EFI 302 with aod in my ranchwagon it was very simple you can buy a motor mount kit from butch's rod shop for about $150 or make your own mounts . I made my own motor mounts using mounts from a late 60 galaxy with a small block and a one inch thick piece of aluminum . You will need to trim and then strengthen the trans cross member for pan clearance on the aod and then use a trans mount from the late 60s galaxy . For the wire harness use the ford motorsport one and buy it from PAW as they have the lowest price and it will come with instructions on how to wire it up You will have to change the oil pan to a front sump and you can still use the serpentine belt system but you will have to put a flex fan on as the fan clutch assembly is to long . for the drive shaft you will have to get a new one made or find a drive shaft out of a 57/58 fairlaine for the right lenght The shorty header for the mustang fit perfectly
Hope this helps
dgasman

friapop
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/6/02 12:31 pm)
Reply flexfan
dgasman- I have a 5.0 EFI/AOD in my '57 and am running
two pusher fans. I'd much rather use a motor fan (or a puller) What flex fan did you use? Any adapters/spacers etc. required?
Thanks

dgasman
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/7/02 7:08 pm)
Reply Re: flexfan
friapop,
I used a Hayden 18 inch reverse rotation fan and a 2 inch spacer . Another way to gain clearance is to use the radiator brackets from a six cylinder car it will move the radiator forward about one and a half inches
dgasman
PS ,
Hayden part #s 18 inch fan 3528 19 inch fan 3529

Edited by: dgasman at: 7/8/02 4:59:41 pm

friapop
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/9/02 4:00 pm)
Reply fan
Thanks! I wasn't aware of the 6 cyl. radiator bracket difference. This a great board!

dragpak
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/11/02 3:28 pm)
Reply Late Model 302 and AOD wiring harness
This is for dgasman, when you installed the AOD, does it use its own wiring harness and if it does, did you use the one from your own tranny, or did you have to buy a new one from an aftermarket source. You also mentioned that you changed drive shafts. Do you have to use a shorter one or a longer one? If you need a shorter one, why couldn't you shorten the stock shaft. Is the tranny end of the shaft also different? What about shifter location, floor or colum?I hope these don't sound like stupid questions, but like they say the only stupid question is the one that you didn't ask. Thanks for all the info!!!

dgasman
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/12/02 12:37 am)
Reply Re: Late Model 302 and AOD wiring harness
dragpak,
I used the wire harness for the aod out of a 91 mustang and ran it up to the floor inside the car like it was on the mustang I am running my neutral safety switch and back up lights and speed sensor off the aod's switch.
The drive shaft needed to be longer that is why I installed the one out of a fairlaine 500 if I remember right( longer wheel base) I don't remember what yoke I used But I did get it from a local drive shaft shop . I am using a collum shift with a rod that I made up with two heilm joints at the ends ,is your trans out of a pass car or a mustang ? if its out of a mustang the linkage is easy if its out of a pass car get the mustang shifter shaft and install into the trans
Hope this helps
dgasman

Edited by: dgasman at: 7/12/02 12:40:57 am

Fordnut
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/14/02 4:26 am)
Dgasman, could you give me a little more info on headers? What year model Mustang and are they the stock or aftermarket? Thanks

dgasman
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/14/02 7:14 pm)
The headers that I am using are bbk shorty unequal length headers from a 91 mustang also the stock headers from the same car will work but don't look or flow as good

57ford351w
'57 Ford aficionado
(7/17/02 8:45 pm)
You may want to check with Painless Wiring. They came up with a harness for FI on small block ford in a car that was not orginally in an FI car.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Mavaholic

I put a 5.0 / 5 speed from a 93 Mustang into my Ranchero. I found the stock motor mounts on the 5.0 worked perfect in the Ranchero just by making the top hole in the frame mount big enough to accept the single stud on the Mustang motor mount. The transmission bolted right up with no mods needed. I believed I flipped the motor mounts to move the engine back, but I dont remember what position they were in in the mustang. Also all the EFI stuff clears the firewall with no mods needed although I plan on trimming that pinch weld just for a little more clearance.

Frankenstein57

I read your post on the 5.0 engine efi wiring harness. How do you reach PAW, do you have a website or phone number? I have 460 efi going to my 57 ranchero. Paneless wiring sent me to a company down south, they wanted $750 for a wiring harness and wanted me to send them my stuff for plugs.

Thanks for your help!
Mark

bagboy

I did 69 351w with 87 cv aod..Spaced mm about 1-1/2 "   Used 59 auto colume,bell crank from 87cv.N/S swich pluged into 57 wireing.Drivers side near m/c.Trim rear crossmemberr to clear pan.Also put wurth-it rack in.Also need fan schroud to cool.lookin for good weather :006:

dgasman

The best price now for the 5.0 harness is from Summit racing 1-800-230-3030
or www.summitracing.com
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

Amblewagon

What did you guys do as far as plumbing the fuel lines as far as the special ends and return line?What type of pump did you run?I understand in the tank is best way to go,but what application did you run.
Thanks I'm going to be doing this swap with a 92 Ho 5.0 and I'm trying to get everything all set to go.
Thanks joe

Roothawg

Sorry, I realize this is an old post but I am still trying to decide what to do on the 57 wagon.
Are the later 5.0not desirable? I see explorer and mustang engines on ebay quite regularly.
Thanks
Root

JPotter57

Explorer engines are fine, but they have a distributorless ignition system (DIS), and doesnt work with readily available harnesses.  You can change the fuel rails to Mustang parts, drop in a DFI distributor from a Mustang, and change the throttle body to the Mustang part, omitting the Explorer elbow.  Its really the best way to do it.  The Explorer engine is a really good engine, having G40P heads and a Cobra style intake from the factory.  I have a lot of the Explorer parts for my `61 Unibody daily driver now, just waiting for the time to do it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Roothawg

So has anyone documented the pitfalls of this swap?  I was all gung ho about keeping the 292 until it left me stranded this weekend.  Now I am thinking the 5.0 may be what I need.

Lou

What happend that left you stranded?

Roothawg

Nothing major. It was my fault really.  I lost a water pump pulley.  Broke the center out of it.  Not that the 292 is unreliable, it just got me to thinking.....