News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

351 cleveland and a toploader 4speed to put in 57 ford retractable

Started by bogey, 2009-01-02 02:15

Previous topic - Next topic

bogey

working on buying a retractable that needs a motor and trans,ive got an extra 351 cleveland and a 4speed toploader any suggestions on the install.my 57 300 model has this set up but it seems the motor sets to the drivers side 2inches or more making the fan and shroud all offset,and the stock hedder closeeee to the a frame.looking for suggestions on this new install on a new car to set centered up maybe run stock hedders or custom depends on the pain that it presents,any difficulities with the z bar ??? talked to a man with knowledge on 57 fords says he puts a 605 chev box and redrills one of the holes either in the box or the frame cant remember all that was said on the subject and uses that box for the power steering with the ford pump i believe,any commets on the subject? or do i forget the 4speed and go to auto trans?

Frankenstein57

You might want to do your homework prior to doing the saginaw 605 box. Some guys had problems, and some love em.If you dig through the old posts on power steering you should find them. As for the cleveland, It's a bit wider on top but I'm sure someone has done it. Nothing wrong with a toploader 4 speed.  Mark

bagboy

Don't put 605 gearbox p/s in.Beware of companys that sell kits for same.!!!!! :deadhorse:

Ford Blue blood

Flaming River now sells a 57 C_______ (can't say it) box that is brand new.  Loks like it would be an easy fit and it is very compact.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II