News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Drop'em Stop'em spindle question

Started by johns2000, 2009-07-21 15:16

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

For those out there who have done the Drop'em Stop'em brake conversion with the lowered spindles did you have to heat up the new spindle arms to get the tie-rod end up in far enough for the castle nut to be below carter pin hole, or use a clamp to press them in? I can't seem to suck them up enough with just a wrench on the castle nut before the tie-rod starts turning and the slot isn't very deep in the top to try and hold with a screwdriver while turning on the nut?

Thanks

Frankenstein57

Sounds like the steering arm isn't reamed out to the rod end they are using. I've used a big channelocks to pull the taper up into the arm to keep it from turning. Does the end of the thread have a slot you can hold the stud from turning with a screwdriver?  Mark

johns2000

Yes it has a slot but it's not very deep and just slips off.

CDN.SD

If you have some, try putting a little valve lapping compound (or similar) on the taper. The grit will usually stop it from turning.

As a side note,  i have found that a little VLC on a Q-Tip in a low RPM drill also works really well on the female round automotive connectors that are usually a real pain to clean.  :002:

Hope that helps. :003:
Necessity is the mother of butchery

KidKourier

johns2000     Before you do anything, call Drop'emStop'em and ask about your tierod end/spindle problem as they have sold hundreds of these kits and will know the solution! I believe that the spindle needs to be reamed using a tierod tapered reamer which is a 7 degree x 1 1/2 " per foot opening up the bottem side of the hole to .875" diameter. The tool(think of the shape of a Christmas tree) has 5 cutting edges starting small at top and flaring out as it goes down and will fit in a 1/2" drill.Your closer to L.A. so you might be able to rent one at a tool supply or parts store,I had to order mine online and their about $80,ordered it from a company called "XKUT" part #5952-1 1/2"TPF or I'm on the other side of Riverside in Hemet(I think that's about 1 hr from you) I'd gladly loan it to you . KID

johns2000