News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranger rear disc on 57

Started by rickj, 2010-03-19 15:31

Previous topic - Next topic

rickj

Some where I saw something where rear disc from a newer Ranger would bolt right on our 57 rear ends but can't seem to find anything on it, any help

JPotter57

Late Crown Vic stuff will, I assume Ranger/Explorer stuff will as well.  I have all Crown Vic parts for mine, really a neat setup, fairly lightweight stuff too, much better than the old Lincoln Versailles stuff.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Thor

What year of crown vic has the disc brake setup that works? Thanks in advance!

jdh6fan

What is needed to make this work on a 57 small bearing rearend?

JPotter57

Get the parts, take off the drums, and backing plates, fit the disk mounting brackets to the end of the housing, and bolt it up.  The small area at the bottom of the bearing retainer that is round, may need to be ground down to slightly flatten it, but the bolt patterns are the same, just use the hardware from the CV donor.  I have mine ready to put on, but not installed yet, so I will get some pics and post them soon.
Old, loud, and fast.

jdh6fan

I'm not real sure but did I read somewhere on this site or another that the 57-59 small bearing rearends had a differant axle offsetl, making swaps tougher?
Thanks for your time
Jeff

JPotter57

Mine have 2.5 inch offset, I am pretty sure the CV is also.  My housing needing narrowed is the main reason I havent put mine together yet, but as soon as I get that done, I will post up.  I bought a jig to narrow it, but am in the process of finding a house to buy, so all my stuff is packed up to move.  Hopefully, soon.
Old, loud, and fast.