News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear brake swap

Started by oldgasser, 2010-11-27 08:28

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Hello Fellows;
Looking for a bit of help & direction I"am in the middle of replacing the rear end of my 57 Ranchero to a higher ratio for highway use. I have decided on 3;25 from a early 60 T-Bird housing my question is instead of changing the whole housing which is a 1/2 inch wider than the 57 which in turn will save me from changing the spring perches & the brake line connection can I just change the backing plates, shoes & drums? to get the better braking power from the wider brakes. Do you see any problems  risings with this change if I can do it?
Thanks in advance.
Ron.

shopratwoody

Ron,
I don't know how wide the T-Bird brakes are but the Ranchero has wider brakes than the passenger car. I don't think you'd improve anything
by changing the brakes, especially on  the rear. Mine stops good
with the discs on the front with stock rear. Ranchero and sta wagon
have the wider drums and lining.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

Lou

You do not have to change the backing plates if you change the drums or shoes. Station wagons & Rancheros' use 3 inch rear shoes, my 60 Thunderbird had 2 1/2 inch rear shoes.

Ford Blue blood

That pumpkin from the 60 should just swap in keeping the Ranchero brakes and axles.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

CDN.SD

For the sake of your sanity...if you get the axles out and all 10 nuts off the pumpkin, and it STILL won't come out, have a look for copper washers (much like the ones on brake hoses) on the studs under where the nuts seated.

I don't know what years they used them on, but if they are there, the rear center section won't come out until they are removed. (Ask me how I know...)

I usually just split them with a chisel and take them off that way.
Necessity is the mother of butchery

oldgasser

Thank you Fellows for all the advice & direction on the rear end & brakes for my 57 Ranchero.
I will put this information to good use.
Cheers Ron.