News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

ball joint problem

Started by 05gt, 2009-02-15 14:12

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

While removing my spindle from the lower A-arm, I tore the grease boot (rubber o-ring) that sit's on the ball joint between the top of the a-arm and the lower spindle mount. Seeing as how its a basic peaice of rubber, i dont see how it would be a special order part. Any one know if there is a universal boot, or one from a newer vehicle that will work?

Nothing like being held up over a .50 peice of rubber!

shopratwoody

It's probably a universal boot. I bought some for the tie rod ends from Carpener or one of the
other suppliers.

Ron :001:
I hate blocksanding!

05gt

Thats what has me a bit confussed. I looked up some ball joints on macs, and they show it with the "boot" style cover. However, what i got off of the car looked like an o-ring. I wonder if they are the newer style replacements? (the boot ones)

wolfpupsdad

i got mine from napa auto parts. took the guy alil while to find the just the boots but did find em and had em in the next day. they are a universal style and work . i can't seem to locate the part # but still looking . take your part in when ya pick em up and double check the fit.

05gt

Do you remember the name of the part? I explain it to them where it goes and what it is, but i've heard grease boot, bushing, grommet, etc......lol

wolfpupsdad

tie rod end grease boot , dust cover boot , rubber gizmo, and or , this thing, as you slap the old greasy part on his counter. sounds to me like you got yourself a parts man that doesn't know the difference between a spark plug and toilet paper. napa has a computer screen break down of all their parts if memory serves me ball joint and tie rod end boots from a 57- mid 70's big body fords should work

05gt

Quoterubber gizmo, and or , this thing

LOL, tried both of thoses, he still just gave me a blank look. Even had the part with me  :iamwithstupid:

Thanks for the info. hope to get this done tomorrow! 

05gt

Ok, got everything squared away, and am putting it all back together. When i jack up the lower A-arm and place the ball joint stud into the spindle, it goes in about 75%, then gets jammed. The stud is going into the whole in a angle due to the a-arm pushing agiainst the back of the drum brakes.

Is there a trick to getting it to line up into place, or do you have to hammer it on. (Seems like a bad idea)

Thanks again!!