News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Easiest Steering box fix?

Started by 05gt, 2010-01-30 17:38

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

I know that you can get the abs steering box and some others, but they require cutting the stock steering up a bit. I'm just looking for the easiest fix to a worn out steering box. Does anyone reproduce these units, or do you just have to have them rebuilt? I don't have a problem having this unit rebuilt, but don't know of anyone who will take on the task. I've also heard of swapping out to a 58' unit, but have been unable to locate one as of yet. My unit now has loose play in the unit from the 9 o'clock position ot roughly the 3 o'clock position. I don't really want to hack up the car to much, or switch to a rack and ponion. I know there's more efficent options, but would like to stick with the origional setup as possible. Anyone have any ideas or fixs's???

wolfpupsdad

regardless or what you do, you'll have to atleast remove the whole colume out, thats the way the stock 57 omes apart. 58 and newer are a two piece unit using a rag joint easiest i'd say would be to use a 58 box and colume.

Lgcustom

I spent considerable time trying to find parts to rebuild my original box. You can get everything except the sector shaft gear. I rebuilt mine and used the old sector shaft. It was a waste of time and money. I still had unacceptable play. I was also unable to find anyone who could rebuild the old box.
So, I'm in the process of installing the ABS 567 box. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

FORDNUT

If you are going to modify your column anyway, a 63/64 Galaxie box is a bolt in. Been there, done that. Been a good long time, but I don't remember it taking rocket science.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

JPotter57

I have a `63 Gal box in mine.  Easy bolt in, though a `58 box is easier, and the column looks the same as the 57 part.  My last one had a `58 box in it.  The Galaxie box requires you to fabricate some mounts for the column at the floor, though its no big deal, about an hours worth of work.  Really, a more compact and much better box than anything you can do to the `57 box...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

05gt

decisions decisions decisions........Looks like I'm going to have to give on something. I was hoping to keep it as ogigional as possible, but it doesn't seem like it's going to turn out that way. After cutting down the stock colum though, you have to have the splines rewelded back on though, correct? If you run a the rack and pinion kit i've seen a few mention here before, are you able to reuse the stock colum as is, or do you have to trim it up some to?

05gt

I found a company that makes manual steering boxs for the 58',

http://www.carsteering.com/addtocart/1958_Ford/Fairlane/Manual_Steering_Gear_Box/82-70204.html#

Would I be able to make this work with my exsisting colum, or do I need the entire assembly?

wildhog

05GT IF YOU GO TO A RACK AND PINNION,YOU CUT OFF YOUR ORIGINAL STEERING SHAFT AND CONNECT TO THE RACK WITH A U- JOINT. IT IS NOT HARD TO DO. YOU WILL HAVE LATE MODEL POWER STEERING, AND YOU CAN KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL COLUMN, IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR A STICK SHIFT IF IT IS ON THE FLOOR. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

wolfpupsdad

to the best of my knowledge all 58 and later cars had a rag joint coupler . the pic in that add is actually a 57 unit or maybe a 58 truck pic.

wildhog

WOLF PUP, A 58 DOES NOT HAVE A RAG JOINT, IT IS THE SAME AS A 57. TOM

wildhog

05GT, IN ANSWER TO YOUR OTHER QUESTION. YOU COULD USE THE 58 BOX AND SHAFT IN YOUR 57 COLUMN , BUT YOU WILL LOSE YOUR HORN, AS A 58 HORN WIRE RUNS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE COLUMN AND A 57 SHAFT IS HOLLOW AND THE HORN WIRE RUNS THRU IT. FOR THE PRICE OF THIS 58 BOX I WOULD LOOK IN TO A RACK & PINNION OR ONE OF THE POWER BOXES, SO YOU WOULD HAVE POWER STEERING. TOM

05gt

Thanks for all your input fellas, i greatly apprecaite it!!! Wildhog, do you have any pictures of your rack and pinion set up, or instructions posted somewhere on here that I didn't see?

ranchero57

Hi 05gt read my post from aug. in this suspension section.my friend can solve your problem.depending on what you are looking for, the stock steering worked ok for many years.I drove my original 57 ranchero(purchased in 58)for ten years with stock steering and I do not remember thinking it was too hard to steer.I am putting a 58 in my current ranchero under restoration.looks the same as a 57 ,horn wire doesnt route thru the shaft.It is set up like newer cars,under horn ring and out with turn signal wires.A friend gave me the 58 set up as mine didnt have a steering box when i got it.good luck.Campy --ranchero57