News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Is this really a 58' Steering box?

Started by 05gt, 2013-06-28 22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

05gt

I ordered a steering box from buy auto parts a couple of weeks ago. Here's the direct link to the box I purchased.

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1958/Ford/Fairlane/Manual_Steering_Gear_Box/82-70204.html

It claims its for a 58 Fairlane, however, it did NOT come with a pitman arm as it is pictured on their site. I tracked down a pitman arm and had it shipped, however, it has 4 keyways on the spline of the pitman arm. On the steering box itself where the pitman arm bolts, it only has 2 keyways 180 deg. apart. So my question is, is this the correct box that I needed in the first place? It has "B9AR 3580-B" on the Housing of the box. No-one that I have talked to has ever heard of a 58' box only having 2 keyways, nor a pitman arm that will fit it. The box seems about the same size as my 57, and the holes that bolt it to the frame seem to match. Do I just line it up with 2 of the keyways and tighten it up regardless? Any help is appreciated guys. This has become so frustrating with my 57 box never getting rebuilt, new steering box has no pitman arm, and now it's still looking like something is wrong. Just want to get my 57' back on the road so I can take it out and enjoy it before summers over!

Ford Blue blood

Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

dgasman

This is a pic of a 58 box and they do have 4 master splines and are the same up to 64 .mine has no marks like a b8 but a b9 would suggest a 59 box witch is the same box. I to have never seen a late 50s early 60s ford pass car box with only 2 master splines.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

05gt

Well this keeps getting more and more confusing! Looks like I.need to get ahold of this place on Monday and try to return it. Seems odd though that its basically the same size as the 57 box, mounting holes are the same, and everything else lines up except for the putman ARM. I wonder if the splines line up, if I could force it on there??

jumping jack flash

The appearance of 57 and newer boxes is the same . See if the wire for the horn goes through the center of the column and exits through the box just behind the upper control arm. THAT is a 57 box, and not an upgrade . If memory serves me right the 59 does not have a hollow shaft where the nut holding the steering wheel on is. Someone help me out here , it's been a long time since I messed with a 58 or 59. They are direct bolt ons, for sure.

Ford Blue blood

Yes they are direct bolt ins.  58 and 59 boxes do not have the horn wire in the shaft.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Fryguy302

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-10-03 17:58
Yes they are direct bolt ins.  58 and 59 boxes do not have the horn wire in the shaft.

It's kinda weird...in the other thread you mentioned that the 60-64 box is a bolt in also.  That same company the original poster bought from has the 60's box for considerably cheaper....although the pic must be wrong:

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1963/Ford/Fairlane/Manual_Steering_Gear_Box/82-70151_R.html

hiball3985

It says it's a generic picture but your link is for a Fairlane, those were midsize cars in the 60's, you want one from a full size like a Galaxie.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Fryguy302

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-10-04 10:31
It says it's a generic picture but your link is for a Fairlane, those were midsize cars in the 60's, you want one from a full size like a Galaxie.

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1963/Ford/Galaxie/Manual_Steering_Gear_Box/82-70146_R.html

$351 for that one.

lalessi1

I just have been looking at Borgeson, Unisteer, electric options and I just saw your post. I have a 1957 Custom and I replaced the '57 box with a '58. I also have an '59 Edsel Box/column. It looks like the box you bought is similar to, if not exactly the same, as the Edsel. I have the pitman arm for the Edsel box if you still need it. The Edsel box is larger than either Ford box but it looks like it may fit especially if you have an automatic. Clutch linkage may not clear. I will look closer if you need help.
Lynn

clusterbuster

I have been reading the former posts about changing the 57 manual steering box over to a 58 or 59 Galaxie box. It was mentioned that in so doing this, the steering column would have to be modified. What modifications would need to be done? In the future I may just want to do the upgrade. Thanks in advance.

Frankenstein57

I always thought that a 58 box gave you a little more clearance on the exhaust manifolds than the 57, in fact someone recently posted about this.  When I swapped boxes , I photographed them side by side, so far I can't find it.

Fryguy302

Quote from: 05gt on 2013-06-28 22:08
I ordered a steering box from buy auto parts a couple of weeks ago. Here's the direct link to the box I purchased.

http://www.buyautoparts.com/buynow/1958/Ford/Fairlane/Manual_Steering_Gear_Box/82-70204.html

It claims its for a 58 Fairlane, however, it did NOT come with a pitman arm as it is pictured on their site. I tracked down a pitman arm and had it shipped, however, it has 4 keyways on the spline of the pitman arm. On the steering box itself where the pitman arm bolts, it only has 2 keyways 180 deg. apart. So my question is, is this the correct box that I needed in the first place? It has "B9AR 3580-B" on the Housing of the box. No-one that I have talked to has ever heard of a 58' box only having 2 keyways, nor a pitman arm that will fit it. The box seems about the same size as my 57, and the holes that bolt it to the frame seem to match. Do I just line it up with 2 of the keyways and tighten it up regardless? Any help is appreciated guys. This has become so frustrating with my 57 box never getting rebuilt, new steering box has no pitman arm, and now it's still looking like something is wrong. Just want to get my 57' back on the road so I can take it out and enjoy it before summers over!

Did you get this installed and working yet?  Do you have pics if so?

Thanks!

hiball3985

Quote from: clusterbuster on 2013-11-11 20:19
  I have been reading the former posts about changing the 57 manual steering box over to a 58 or 59 Galaxie box. It was mentioned that in so doing this, the steering column would have to be modified. What modifications would need to be done? In the future I may just want to do the upgrade. Thanks in advance.
I put a 58 in mine and I actually miscalculated the length and cut about 1" off. I think this was due to the fact that the 58 had an auto trans column and my 57 is a stick. So it may have not needed trimming or very little. The 58 box is a little bigger but no clearance problem. You will loose the horn as the 57 wire comes through the center of the shaft and the 58 doesn't. If you get a 58 box be sure it has the pitman arm the 57 won't fit it has a different spine..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

clusterbuster

Thanks hiball. Will keep these things in mind. I was wondering about the horn. I suppose you put a button on the side of the column.