News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Is this really a 58' Steering box?

Started by 05gt, 2013-06-28 22:08

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

I haven't put a horn button in yet, It's only been a year  :003: but it's still on the list..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

I had an old beater pickup with rusted cab mounts.  As the cab settled, the flex coupler became more and more distressed due to the lack of alignment.  Finally, the little ground strap in the coupler broke and no horn.  I ran a wire up the outside of the column and taped it to the shifter.  With the end of the wire bare, I used my little finger to press the bare wire to the shifter whenever I needed the horn.  Worked great.

The old truck was pretty rusty.  One night I heard something dragging.  I stopped and found my headlight dimmer switch dragging by the wire harness.  The floor was rusted so bad that the last time in dimmed the headlights, it broke through the floor.  Rust was so bad that I relocated the dimmer switch up the 'A' pillar.  When I needed to dim the headlights, I just hit the dimmer switch with my knee.

hiball3985

I like the idea of putting it on the shifter, that gives me an idea to think about. Mine doesn't have the stock horns and I don't know what they are off of but these things will blow you over.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-11-12 18:51
I like the idea of putting it on the shifter, that gives me an idea to think about. Mine doesn't have the stock horns and I don't know what they are off of but these things will blow you over.

Ford Fairmonts had it on the turn signal stalk. Might be one or two of those left in a wrecking yard.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

SkylinerRon

Why not just put the whole 58 column in it?

Ron.

hiball3985

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2013-12-25 23:28
Why not just put the whole 58 column in it?

Ron.
If I could have found a good column for a 3 spd and a good steering wheel at the time I would have. I just happy having good steering and the horn is a minor issue..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang