News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Is anyone using a 1963-64 Galaxie Power Steering box

Started by BBoswell, 2013-12-02 20:42

Previous topic - Next topic

BBoswell

I have a 1957 Ranchero with a 390 FE engine using stock exhaust manifolds and a manual steering box out of a 1963-1964 Galaxie. The box is a little snug to the exhaust manifold but not really a problem. It was pretty much a bolt in installation and works great for manual steering. I have been planning to change the manual box for a power steering box from the same year vehicle. Now that I am ready to do it I am being told that the power steering box is quite a bit larger than the manual box and won't clear. It's not like you can run to the parts house today and measure one so if there is anyone on the forum running a 1963-1964 Galaxie power steering box in their '57 Ford I would life to chat about what problems you encountered installing the steering.

Ford Blue blood

The power steering on 63 - 64 Galaxies was a linkage assist just as the 57s were/are.  The Galaxie box is the same size reguardless of power/manual.  65 and newer was the first year for the integral boxes and they will not fit.  The only "bolt in" box I know of is one Bordeson sells.  It is a new unit.  The kit includes the pump, box and pitman arm.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

BBoswell

Thanks for the reply. Excuse me if my questions sound stupid but I am new to both 57 Fords and power steering. What exactly is linkage assist? As for the box size, the Galaxie box I put in my '57 was pretty close to a bolt in so I just thought I could replace it with the power steering unit like you indicate. However, the company that rebuilds the steering boxes and power brakes units in LA where I've been buying my parts from are the people who are telling me the power steering box is bigger. Are you using the Galaxie box in your '57? Do you have a part number for the Bordenson unit?

Ford Blue blood

The pitman arm has a control valve on it that controls a ram that is mounted to the chassis and the center of the drag link.  Ford used that system up through 1964 in the full sized line and until 1970 in the mid and compact lines.  There is no power steering box until 65.  I beleive the 61 - 64 boxes used different internals for power box/manual box but the outside dimentions were the same.

I have a 64 box for my Ranchero, not in yet as that project is on hold for the moment.

Google Borgeson and their web site will come up.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Fryguy302

Here is a 57 Fairlane manual box (modified for rag joint, rusty one on the right) compared to a 1964 Galaxy box.