News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

front end kits

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2014-02-12 06:25

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

Guys,
   Where is the best place to look for a front end kit, while the engine is out now would be the time to do it. I know there are some quality issues with some manufacturers, so I would like to steer away from those places.
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57 Ford Kustom

I don't think I'm going to the whole kit, I've been looking at concours and I can buy piecemeal. I can buy the bushings, do I need to replace the upper a arm Shaft, or can I just buy th bushings? Does anyone know where I can get a set of idler arm seals w/o power steering? Thanks for any input.

lowrider

I just replaced the bushings on the upper arms when I got to that point. Don't know about the idler arm parts but I've seen them on most of the suppliers sites.

RICH MUISE

Tim. When I did my front end,about 5 years ago, I ordered all the pieces piece-meal from Concourse. I made the mistake of ordering the upper control arm shafts from them. They are ridiculously priced at something like 160. EACH if I remember correctly. I could not find any reference dimensions to be able to check my old ones to see if they were actually worn. When I got the new ones, they were actually .001 smaller diameter than the old ones! I think if you buy a kit from Kanter you can add the upper shafts, if you really need them, for something like an additional 80....1/4 what the concourse shafts were. I'm just going from memory on the $'s , but I don't think I'm too far off.
The boots on my Concourse ball joints are already cracking, and my car hasn't hit the road yet!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

briney

I got my parts from Kanter Auto Products... They fit perfect !!

Patrick   Dallas TX   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: gasman826 on 2014-02-13 12:59
PST
LOL...I thought PST was a soft noise you made when your trying to get someone's attention. Type louder, I can't hear you.

57 Ford Kustom

Guys, thanks for all the help! I'll make my order tonight. Thanks again!

57 Ford Kustom

Guys tomorrow I plan on reassembling my front end. On the lower front bushing pin there was a washer between the bushing and the frame, does this need to go back in?

hiball3985

Tim, are you referring to the ones tac welded on or is it a loose one? I borrowed this picture from the gallery that shows the ones on the engine cross member and I believe they are also on the front cross member. The only loose washer would go on the bolt that goes into the pin.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 Ford Kustom

Hiball,
   These two large washers were on the bushing side of the front pins. I didn't know if they were factory placed there, or if years ago someone installed them to make up the spacing difference in the A arm bushings. They have one flat side on the washer, maybe whoever installed them put in a inferior bushing and had a gap that they needed to make up? don't know for sure, but if no one else have a large flat washer with a flat side on there car that must have been the case.
Tim

hiball3985

I'm a little confused. I looked in the manual and it says to add shims to remove any fore-or-aft movement so maybe that is what someone did. I have never seen shims on any of the few factory ones I have done in the past.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Meant to look last night, and forgot..sorry Tim. I just looked mine has no washer, but does have heavy rectangular plates on either side of the frame that the pin goes thru. Too long ago to remember, but I believe they are spotwelded to the frame. They are pretty thick...1/4" or so.

Frankenstein57

Tim, I would try putting the a- arm in there with the pins and new bushings only, if there is movement with the control arm then add as needed. Mark

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks Guys I will do that!