News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Manual vs. Power Box

Started by 4banger, 2008-06-03 13:38

Previous topic - Next topic

4banger

On a 1958 or 1959 steering box, is the box itself same as manual or power ? The box's look identical with only the pitman arm connected to a hydraulic cyl. for power, then to a reservior. Why can't I use a box from a power system for manual ? Ratio should be the same. Nothing connected to either box just to pitman arm. I need help!!!!!!!!!!

Frankenstein57

Your question doesn't make sense, Why can't you use a power steering box as a manual box?  The 57,58,59,masterguide power steering is a power assist, the power ram strokes the draglink. The box is the same. Some folks have used the GM 605 saginaw box (with mixed results) as an alternative to the oem. hope this helps, Mark

57chero

You are correct the manual box is the same as the power assist box, the only difference is the box is being assisted by the power ram on the power steering set up. The pitman arms are also the same on either box.

4banger

My thinking was just as you guys explained it. I just came across in an elementary way of explaining it. Thanks again

bagboy

If you go with a modifyed GM605 box be VERY CAREFUL whom you deal with.Check out sites for vendors records.

cool57

Quote from: 57chero on 2008-06-03 22:23
You are correct the manual box is the same as the power assist box, the only difference is the box is being assisted by the power ram on the power steering set up. The pitman arms are also the same on either box.

I think pitman arms are different. Power arm has more drop.

57 Ford Kustom

Cool 57 you are correct there is a difference between non and power do not know the difference but the part # is different

TOM  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57chero

Ive parted out a few 57s two with power and one with manual steering and the pitman arms were the same.

fomocochoptop

i think that 1958 ford had two different pitman arms and 1957 was the same as a 1958 power steering type. i could be wrong.

4banger

How does the horn ring come off on a 57 steering wheel ? Just wandering before I try to take it off. Also, my 57 manual pitman arm is an exact match to a 59 power pitman arm I just bought. Same length and pitch. I mic'd the thickness and appeared to be a slight thicker but all in all the same arm.

57tudor

Hi 4banger
To remove the horn ring, press down on the center of the ring and turn it counterclock wise from a 12 O'Clock position to a 10 O'Clock position and release. The horn ring has a large spring under it so catch it when you remove the ring. Unplug the horn wire where it extends out of the steering box and pull it out from the inside of the car. You will need a puller to get the steering wheel off. Also when you reinstall the steering wheel, the spline on the shaft and the steering wheel has an alignment notch. Hope this will give you a good start.

Rick.
57 Tudor

4banger

57 Tudor,
               Thanks alot , for the good advice.