News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FIX for loss of turning radius with Cavalier r&p.????

Started by RICH MUISE, 2018-10-10 08:12

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

A few weeks ago on the Hamb, we had the Borgenson vs. Rack & pinion  discussion and I had mentioned the loss of turning radius as maybe the only downside for the rack. One of the forum members there saw a video on You Tube and forwarded it to me last night. The video is about how to decrease the turning radius on a Mustang by removing plastic stops that are on the rack under the boot. In the case of the Mustang, it changed the wheel angle of turn by 10 degrees!! The Mustang in question had to add wheel spacers to clear the components it would have been now hitting with the further travel. I don't think that would be necessary with our '57's.
So...............any R & P owners out there that happen to have a spare Cavalier rack handy, or have a lift, that could pull the boot back and see if that removable plastic ring/stop is on the Cavalier rack like it is on a Mustang?? This would be a real biggie for the rack owners.
Here's a link to that video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiccgh2GXzs#action=share
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

Interesting video.  Unfortunately, the Caviler style R&P steers from the center rather than the end like most racks.  No easy fix to turning radius issues.  At the very end of that video, cut and welded spindles and lower A-frames were mentioned.  I was surprised welded steering parts are sold.  I've always been told welded steering parts are taboo.  I have welded steering parts for years.  I trust my welding but understand why others might not trust my skills...I wouldn't trust theirs.  The thought has crossed my mind to cut and weld my spindles to correct turning radius issues.  If I had an extra set of spindles, I might try it.  At this time, I am still waiting for rack modifications from Turn One.

RICH MUISE

Yes, just got off the phone with John Starks, the guy who has been making our kits, and he just told me what you said. D#@$!
Thanks for the reply though.
John still is making the rack kits, and the price is still the same at 995.Good for him.

CobraJoe

Didn't watch the video, but back in the early years when I was building Cobras and utilizing the '87-'93 Mustang donor rack and pinion ( before Flaming River racks), removing the stops was common practice, not sure on the   Cavalier rack though.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

hiball3985

Rich, even if you change the rack how much more would you be able to turn before the tire hits the sway bar?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

I have the ADDCO sway bar in the OEM location so it is not an issue.  The 50' turning radius is an issue.  It's not such a big deal once you are accustom to it.  It is like turning a four door, long box pickup.  You just got to give yourself room.

RICH MUISE

Mine is the SW T-Bird bar, not in the oem location. I don't know, Jim. Never really looked. Certainly something to check out if I was to consider changing to Borgenson. That's probabbly never going to happen, as Gary said, not that big of an issue once you're use to it. Advantages far outweigh the turning radius issue.

hiball3985

I agree, the handling out weighs the turning.  I have the same bar and a 58 box that allows it to turn until the wheel hits it. Under most conditions making a U turn it doesn't happen but I rarely make U turns.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

I have the Borgeson box and the SW sway bar, no interference issues. I have the full factory turning radius.
Lynn

Ford Blue blood

I have a 64 Galaxie box and a 58 Edsel Ranger/Pacer front bar.  15" tires clear no problem lock to lock and the steering is fairly easy with the car sitting still.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

It took awhile (plenty of time was allowed).  Brown just dropped off the TURN ONE, modified rack.  The owner, Jeff told me that he machined about all he could get to reduce the turning circle.  Unfortunately, the car is still in Upholstery Jail!  So it will be months before I can give a final report.

lalessi1

A while back I posted a simple way to figure out the turning radius by measuring the wheel angles at full lock.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=5428.msg41870#msg41870

Lynn