News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

And a pic of the bearings as they are sold
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Well, once again I was spending alot of time trying to fix a problem I didn't have. I removed everything on the disc brake kit, and reassembled pretty much as the instructions said to, and as the helpful guy at the differential supply store suggested.
I did leave out one shim they said to use, it was obvious it was not going to be needed. I also added .135 thick spacers to the one they provided to center the caliper over the rotor. But that's it. It's centered, there is next to nothing for in/out play (dial indicator shows .002 if I tug really hard), and there is no binding. I got the flex brake line installed also, so it's on to side 2.
Probably won't get much more done til after Christmas...haven't been getting much done anyway with all the errands I'm running for the wife!
Note:...the .135 thick spacer I added just made up for the .140 that I had the axle rerworked to!! I'm thinking the kit was in fact made for 2.50 spacing that the axle had, and not the 2.36 I was told. Had I just left the axle alone and had the rotor bored out to fit the hub, everything would have been pretty darn close as is.

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-12-21 16:00
And a pic of the bearings as they are sold
Some useless trivia: Timkin built the first sealed roller bearings for locomotives in 1930, the demonstrator #1111 logged 100,000 miles across the country. It took the automotive industry a while to catch on.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I guess I need to post pics, or it didn't happen.

hiball3985

Looking good Rich..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 imposter

Sorry for your shim problems but its good to have company in my " Sweat the daylights out of a problem you don't have club" I was getting constant check engine light that was causing much angst.. I was using an temporary LED light for the dash and both it and the one on the Telovek panel were on constantly. I changed out the dash light for a permeant incandesce light and they both went out. That explains us being unable to get any codes out, there were none. I think that if an LED light can even smell electricity, it will come on. Merry Christmas to all. Our kids will be staying home in Seattle as the Cascades are impassable so it looks we will have a quiet day.   

RICH MUISE

I'd like to think that's the same problem I have, but I am actually getting codes. Both my engine check light and "in Overdrive" lights are LEDs...I think,lol, but I'm glad you mentioned the light on the Televork panel...I had totally forgotten about that one. Next time I'm fiddlin with it, I'll pull the cover off the console where the panel is to see if that light is on.

lalessi1

Rear brakes look awesome!
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Thanks Lynn....I'm happy with them so far, but I am pretty close to the point where Cluster was when he did his swap.....everything fine until E-brake connection time. Hopefully the T-Bird calipers will hook up better than the gm style was for him. I should have my cables early next week.

RICH MUISE

I had mentioned the disc kit I installed in the back said in it's literature that it fit "some 14" wheels. I tried the Ford oem 14" wheel this afternoon and unfortunatly it does not fit. I know some guys had inquired in the past about disc brakes for the 14" stock wheels, but this Summit/Stainless Steel Brakes kit will not work. I couldn't get the wheel past the registration hub, but looking inside the back of the wheel, with the wheel on up to the hub, The caliper was just about ready to bottom out anyway.

Ford Blue blood

I would guess the "some 14" wheels fit" might be the Granada/Monarch wheels.  Hard to find.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Not really any updates to do....I'm still waiting for my e-brake cables to be delivered by UPS. I wished I had requested another means of delivery...this is the 3rd time in the past year UPS has failed miserably for me. They were picked up by UPS on the 22rd, and according to the tracking info when I talked to the "cable guy" this past Tuesday, they were on a truck "out for delivery" Tuesday!! I don't have the tracking number, so I'll probably have to wait until Monday to figure out what's going on again.

hiball3985

I think all UPS shipments go to Atlanta first. If you send something to your next door neighbor it goes to Atlanta first then back to your neighborhood  :003:

UPS and other shippers are so far behind due to the weather problems and flooding in the SE.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I was expecting the delay due to weahter, what surprised me was the "out for delivery" on Tuesday, which I didn't get, nor did it come on wen. so I thought for sure on Thurs., but that didn't happen either.

hiball3985

That sounds like a local issue. Every time mine have said out for delivery I get it the same day.

A lot of things that come FedEx here get handed off to the postal carrier and they have shown up as late as 9pm.  I think some small package UPS things have too..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang