News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

update on Rich's build

Started by RICH MUISE, 2015-05-07 23:40

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I got the power steering pump replaced with another pump and discovered the setup has another issue...the rack is bad also. It probably was the culprit to begin with. I've got a replacement rack on order and also ordered the Moog cc850 aerostar springs. I figure as long as the springs have to be replaced and the rack, it would be dumb not to get it all done at once.
Posibly the ride height being so far off put extra stress on the rack??????????? causing it to blow a seal? It started leaking really bad when I pulled the car out of the garage to turn it around. Left a trail of fluid all the way down the driveway. Looking underneath I can see the external rubber components are badly cracked and split.
Speaking of ride height, while I had it on the driveway, I measured everything. My spindle to fender well opening is at 16 1/4 (4" higher than Doug's), rocker at front is 10 3/4 (3 1/4 higher than doug's) Rocker at the rear is 11 1/4. the sway bar is 11 1/8. I think if the Aerostars drop it a full 3", I'll be in good shape. Not sure if it will drop the full 3" if I use a 1" insulator. Anyway, I'm thinking the drop with the Aerostars will give it more of a radical rake than I'd like, so I may end up with lowering blocks back there.
Gonna be off the road for a while again unfortunatly.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Sorry to hear about your rack problem. I was going to comment on your ride height and springs but first I wanted to verify you are using Granada spindles? I'm not awake enough to go back and read all the old posts  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Rich ride height should not impact the rack at all unless there is a serious bind.  Pump pressure would be my first look.  I do not know the GM pump pressure vs the MK VIII.  If the MK pump is significantly higher that could be the culprit.  I'll look and see if I can find any thing on that.

Remember to loosen up the nuts on the front suspension after the new coils go in.  The drastic change in ride height will put the rubber under stain and cause premature failure.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

http://www.classicperform.com/TechBook/PowerSteeringTechTips.htm

Read this, Rich.  It will shed some light on pressures, etc.  It dispelled a lot of myths about pumps, I learned a lot from it.  I always had thought GM pumps ran higher pressure, but apparently, ALL power steering systems operate at or near the 1000 psi range...cool information here, a little lengthy, but should answer a lot of your questions.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

Jim...yes, granada spindles which is why I initially didn't consider the Aerostar springs. Not to beat a dead horse, but I read so many times the combination wouldn't work, and especially for me who does not like the dropped in the weeds look. As my ride height became an obvious problem after final assembly, I came to realize what works for one car doesn't necessarily work for another. It's all in the weight and weight distribution of the drivetrain specific to the vehicle. The springs I am replacing, btw are Eaton MC 1484, actually rated lower than the oem 6 cyl springs. My engine...alum block, heads, tranny, radiator.
Bill Yeah, thought about the pump pressure, wasn't suppose to be an issue, but there's always the "but". The rack although unused, is about 5 years old. Looking at what I can see of the rubber components, I'm inclined to think it's a rubber quality issue that seems to be plaguing everything nowadays. For what it's worth, the 500 miles or so it got driven last week did not indicate any overly sensative steering. If anything, it was a little harder steering than I was expecting.
Thanks for the reminder on the suspension bushings. I wouldn't have remembered that for sure.
James....thanks for the link you posted while I was typing. I'll read it.

RICH MUISE

That was a good read, Thanks again James. I've got it saved.
I should have also mentiond my hydroboost that's part of the steering system. I may be wrong, but it would seem a properly working hydroboost should have no affect on the system pressure once everything is bleed. My logic there is different racks would be needed for a vehicle originally equipt with hydroboost, and I do not believe that is the case.

hiball3985

I know the weight difference will make a little change but I don't think it will be a large amount. I've swapped V8 into 6 cylinder cars without any major change showing. With the Granada spindles and stock OEM springs I have 12-1/4" between center of spindle and bottom of the fender. I can't image the difference in weight with you 4.6 would allow it to go up 4"? I still think they sent you the wrong springs. I hope the Areo springs work but I really can see how, at least not without spacers. I may be wrong, time will tell.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Wrong springs are a posibility. I'll look up the physical dimensions for the number they were suppose to have sent me and double check that when I pull them out.
I just picked up the same 1" spacers that Doug used, btw. I'm thinking I can live with an inch too high alot easier than 1" too low.
Also...kinda what I was saying about each car being different....you have 12 1/4 spindle to fender with Granada spindles and OEM springs. Doug has the same 12 1/4, Granada spindles, but with Aerostars/1" spacer. I'm also aware that not all Granada spindles are rereamed for the same height. Dave at Drop n Stop makes them available in either 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 drops. I verified that TWICE with him.
That reaming I believe leaves me the option of re-reaming mine (currently reamed for 2 1/2 drop)so I only have a 1 1/2 drop if I need that correction.
I just got the physical dims. for the MC1484 Eaton spings I'm suppose to have: 15 1/2 length, .690 wire, 4.039 ID I did not get the specs on load, etc. because I have no way of checking that part.

hiball3985

I think with the spacer you should be safe, and I'm pretty sure without it you would be too low.
That's interesting, I had no idea they could be reamed for two different heights.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Not all 'Granada style' spindles are created equal.  The Granada style spindle were used on several models and years.  I've found spindles removed from a Granada have somewhere in the 1" to 2" drop.  I took my set off a '76 V8 Granada and they have about a 2" drop.  I've also found '78 LTD II spindles initially appear the same as Granada spindles with the same appearing rotors and calipers but have no drop.  The LTD II take a different wheel bearing.  They look the same and are typically called 'Granada spindles' but are slightly different.  Before buying 'Granada spindles', measure your stock spindles from the bottom on the lower ball joint boss to the center of the spindle.  Then, you can compare the spindles you are buying for the drop you are looking to obtain.  Scrap price is down so one might be able to buy the whole car for reasonable money.

RICH MUISE

I'm thinking about having a local shop replace my coil springs and rack and pinion. I really can't afford the 75 an hour, but I'm dreading trying to replace the coils in my too-small working space and my too-old body. If it were summer, I'd cover the car and do it in the driveway. How many hours do you think a shop would take to do that? Not including alignment, I'm thinking 5-6 hours. Is that a reasonable guess for a regular shop with 2 post lifts, etc.?

lalessi1

Rich, I have 13" (or there abouts) fender lip to spindle center with CC850 springs, stock spindles, and no spacers... I figure my engine weight is between a Y block and a 6 cylinder. I am thinking a shop with a lift could change the springs and the rack in maybe 3 hours... especially since everything is clean and new. My 2 cents.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the input Lynn. If I can get a quote of 3 hours I won't think twice about it.

57 imposter

Lynn is right, With all new parts, I don't think I spent an hour a side changing mine and I did it on jack stands, which is something I swore I would never do again after getting my hoist. [ hoist is outside and it was way too cold to be out there] Anybody quotes you over 3 hours and I would be talking to another shop

RICH MUISE

Thanks Doug. I'm going to go talk to some guys this morning.