News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The 4 eyed ugly younger sister....the 1959!

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-07-02 19:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

Rich, hahahaha. There are plenty of Frenchmen around here! I'm only 1/8 French....so that's enough to make fun  :burnout:

I'm 20 minutes from the Canadian border.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

CobraJoe

Faboulous, where are you, if you don't mind me asking? You near Fort Kent?
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Fabulous50s

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

CobraJoe

Okay, I assumed you were up in the Allagash and were South of Canada, not to the West. I always forget that it also borders the Eastern part of Maine. Nice country up that way.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

Fabulous50s

Bringing this thread back as winter projects are moving along.

Removed the unbelievably restrictive Y-pipe and factory unbelievably silent muffler and the rest.

mustang6984

UGH! Looked ugly to boot! Should be a happier engine now that it will be able to breathe!   :003:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fabulous50s

Pulled the 3 speed for an extra gear to be added.

Going with a car SMOD which was known as the town and country overdrive. No burnouts in my future, just excessive noise!

mustang6984

Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Quote from: Fabulous50s on 2021-02-19 19:33
Bringing this thread back as winter projects are moving along.

Removed the unbelievably restrictive Y-pipe and factory unbelievably silent muffler and the rest.

What are you going to use for exhaust? On my 59 Tudor, which was the original 332 2 barrel FordOMatic, yeah, the Y pipe was really skinny and kinked, When I swapped to the 428CJ, I installed a set of FPA headers, and had a local exhaust shop fabricate a custom 2 1/2" dual exhaust system, with DynaMax Turbo mufflers, and the tailpipes dump behind the rear tires. It sounds pretty good, but a bit loud on the freeway at 2600 RPM. (or if a Police car is in the next lane!)

1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Fabulous50s

T170F out of a Granada. Car ratio, not the truck ratio which is bigger gap between 2nd and 3rd.

I have a 2-1/4" mandrel bend universal kit which I'll weld up to get over the axle etc. Going to have the local shop bend from the manifolds to wherever I cannot make the kit work.

Plan is to use Flowmaster FX (Borla knockoffs) rounds and put the mufflers behind the rear tires in the "mud opening". Goong to do a GM style angle dump tailpipe out of 2-1/4" 304 stainless pipe and polish it. Exit will be just before the bumper. I've got some of it mocked up right now, but haven't bought the mufflers yet.

brushwolf

Be interested to see the exhaust take shape. I also purchased the mandrel bent universal kit intending to weld it together.

I have the larger 400 exhaust manifolds on a 351c and so I purchased 2 universal kits to be sure to have enough pieces to work it from manifolds back to the rear. Also purchased a replacement y pipe from a 70's era 400 powered PU, only thing I could find to give me new header pipes and retainers.

Good heavy gauge pipe, but the bends are not mandrel bent, so I just cut it up to about 6 inches from the manifold outlets on both sides to get rid of all the crimped bends.

Since my car is a convertible, I have the X-frame to pass through front and rear. 2 1/4" appears to be the largest I can easily install due to the limited clearance in those 4 spots. Never thought about putting the mufflers at the back (which is where they are on my 62 TBird), but since I already have the factory heat shields in place, I will probably stick with the factory muffler placement.

Are you installing an H or X pipe in your exhaust?  I plan on an H pipe for simplicity on mine, but just clamping it instead of welding in case removal is required down the road.

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird

gasman826

Flowmaster Universal Stainless Kit with Flowmaster stainless mufflers.

lalessi1

I have the FPA headers, 2.5" system w/ x pipe and Borla mufflers. Exits at the bumper corners. I found having the exits behind the tires made my system resonate a bit much for me.
Lynn

Fabulous50s

I'm not sure, but it looks as if the '57 has more clearance to the floor than the '59 does.

My goal is to not have any of the exhaust lower than the frame in any place. The loooooong wheelbase of my FORDoor means I already have some curb rash on the bottom of the frame from last summer. Dont want to catch any exhaust.

Lynn, your exhaust looks fantastic! Did a local shop do that? Is it 2.25" or 2.5"? I'm hoping for something similar. Would like to keep the pipe close to the driveshaft as there is more clearance there than outboard near the frame on my '59.

lalessi1

Yes a local shop did mine. It is 2 1/2". Since that pic was taken I had 2 bolt flanges installed before the mufflers and I extended the headers for better clearance (so I can easily unbolt the center section). The entire system is above the bottom of the frame.
Lynn