News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

The 4 eyed ugly younger sister....the 1959!

Started by Fabulous50s, 2020-07-02 19:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

Redrilled and resurfaced my flywheel ti accept an 11" diaphram clutch...saved me over $400 to not have to order a pressure plate to bolt up the Ford Long style bolt pattern I had.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Fabulous50s

Had a local driveshaft guy make me a new driveshaft which is 3" longer for my rebuilt 3+Overdrive transmission.

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

Fabulous50s

Finally got all the parts so I could rebuild my 3+overdrive toploader out of a Granada. Replaced 1st and 4th gear, counter shaft, syncros, bearings, etc.

thomasso

Where are you buying your pressure plates?  Any chance the redilling would affect the balance?
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Fabulous50s

Was quoted by Modern Driveline for a clutch kit that would bolt directly to my flywheel $480.

I only drilled 6 equidistant holes in the flywheel, all the others were already there, not sure why, 6 for Ford style long clutch and 8 were just there not threaded or anything.

Used a locally sourced clutch kit that was $120.

So I guess the real savings was actually $360.

hiball3985

I have a similar fly wheel with the extra holes around the outer edge. After some researching I found out they are for Marine engines. It works fine on my engine, no problem. Is there enough clearance room in the Y bell housing for an 11" clutch? I always wondered about that but never tried fitting one.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

thomasso

57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

lalessi1

I have a 12" LUK diaphragm clutch that bolts to the outer holes on a Ford flywheel. I haven't installed it yet.
Lynn

Fabulous50s

Some FE partial rebuild pix.

Removed the oil pan for a regasket and discovered a rod was installed backwards. Big end was out of round, and had some copper showing.

Fabulous50s

Bought an NOS rod on Ebay and ground it to match the weight of all the other rods.

Replaced the cam bearings and put a Cloyes roller timing chain in. Some machine work to use my old button retainer cam.

mustang6984

FYI...I LOVE your car...just so you know! I especially like the color...that one and the creamsicle orange and white that they had are my two favorites.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

Fabulous50s

And it going back in.....

Fabulous50s

Thank you! I'm a bit partial myself....😀

Fabulous50s

Had to have exhaust shop make my duals. My universal kit wouldn't clear.

Ended up with 2" as 2.25" made for hanging below the frame under the rear foot well.

I polished up some 304 stainless pipe I cut out of some exhaust I'd made back 20 years ago.

Fabulous50s

The final product