News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Transmission jumping out of gear

Started by hivolt5.0, 2009-10-08 13:51

Previous topic - Next topic

hivolt5.0

I have a problem with the 3 speed tranny on my Ranchero...when starting off in 1st, just as you get going the transmission jumps out of gear.  It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are going in your acceleration it jumps out of 1st very abruptly.  I just replaced the bushings on the shift rods between the column and tranny obviously adjust them but it still jumps out of gear.  Do any of you have any suggestions on what could be causing this and/or how to fix it?

thanks,

shopratwoody

Try adjusting the rod longer to get it deeper into the gear. It has worked for me years ago.
If not probably the syncro.
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

KidKourier

Using the 1957 Ford shop manuel "Trans jumps out of gear" it says to check the trans linkage for wear and bent parts,then check the adjustment---Check for excessive end play caused by wear in the shift forks,sliding gear fork grooves,thrust washers,output shaft or countershaft bearings,or clutch pilot bushing.Also check for misalignment or excessive clearance between the sliding gear and the output shaft!Had this happen to me twice--one was syncros,the other was bent linkage due to a hard power shift(this was a pain in the butt to find),laying on the garage floor staring at the linkage(by accident,you know the tired fixed stare --) noticed that one of the shift rods had a bow in it,couple of wacks with the all purpose BFH straighten it right out! Hope this helps--KID

Hoosier Hurricane

Can't be the synchro, low has no synchro.  John

hivolt5.0

Thanks guys!  I'll double check the adjustment this weekend and hopfully that will fix it as I assume checking the other items involves remove the transmission unless you can inspect those items with it still in place.

I'm very new to the '57 Fords and am learning a lot.

texasmark1

"... all purpose BFH..."
Now thats FUNNY!

around my family, they just say, "... look out, Dad's moving into the get-a-bigger-hammer stage..."

Mark
God Bless Texas!

hivolt5.0

Alright, I was able to readjust the shift rod at the column and I believe it has resolved the problem.  I've driven it a couple of times and it has stayed in gear.