News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Oil leak

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2009-10-10 10:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

Have the 292 running but have a leak at the pick up tube on the pan.  The manual has no picture of how this is put together so I can't figure what the "fix" would be or if there is one beyond dropping the pan and starting over.  This is my first Y-block experiance so any basic info would be appreciated.  Thanks, Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Hoosier Hurricane

Bill:

There should be a gasket between the pickup tube flange and the inside of the pan.  Only way to install it is to drop the pan.  Or, if the pickup tube is bent, the flange may not be seating correctly on the pan.

John

Ford Blue blood

John,

Went out yesterday afternoon and ran it again, no oil leak!  The seeping at the filter canister stopped also.  Might be that the gasket needed to get wet and swell up?  This thing has been sitting for at least 8 - 9 years.  Need to adjust the valves, they rattle a little more then I would like. 

Couldn't make the thing get hot, put a blanket if front of the radiator and could still hang onto the top of the radiator, suspect there is no thermostat.  Couple of little things to look after and it should be ready to drive to B-Ham.

Bill
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II